filter help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indigo1975

Aquarium Advice Regular
Fluval or Eheim ??????

Money no Object.. I want the quietest Filter possible .....

I see the Fluvals have 4 stages while Eheim has only one...

Lots of opinions im sure just want ULTRA quiet... And Good filtration

thank u.. my brother has the FLUVAL said its kinda quiet..

I need the best noise reduction as much as I can....

What Size Ehime for a 55 gallon? and is one stage cleaning enough?:thanks:

Fluval or Eheim ?????? Money no Object.. I want the quietest Filter possible ..... I see the Fluvals have 4 stages while Eheim has only one... Lots of opinions im sure just want ULTRA quiet... And Good filtration
I got a fluval u2 and its not virtually silent. It IS silent. Its brilliant

I have a Hagen Aquaclear50 that is absolutely quiet. I started with a Whisper HOB that was anything but quiet. The Aquaclear was often recommended so I went with that as a replacement. I also have a cheap Aqueon Quiet Flow that is absolutely quiet. You cannot adjust the water flow though but it works really well to be so cheap. I just recently bought a Rapids Mini Canister Filter and it is very quiet. The only noise from any of the ones I mentioned is the water falling into the tank. I like that though. The canister filter I bought was originally going to be for my 5 gallon tank but it puts out so much water flow that I had to use it on my 10 gallon. Evan then I had to baffle the water outflow because it is so strong it was knocking my fish around. It definitely keeps the water moving and the tank clean. I wish it had a water flow adjustment feature. My suggestion is to make a list of the ones people mention, check the specs, and choose the one that you most think fits your tank.

Thanks all for your input.. I'm still researching the 2
I'll aeon the money on the best I can get ..

With the eheim classic series it looks like one filter
Pass and the other looks like it goes through lots
Of passes .. I will read more..
Do you have to fill the eheime up with stuff??

Wonder what size to get for a 55 gallon depending
What model I buy

I'll do further investigations I want the best filtration possible

I am using a Ehiem 2032 and i put it in the cabinet under the tank. I do not hear anything from it and I presume that it means that it is ultra silent :)

Ehiem classics can also be "multi pass" filter. It really depends on how many type/layers of media you put in it. Fluval may look to be "multi-pass" as it has buckets to help you organize the media. Ehiem ecco pro and pro filters all come with the buckets.

Great response thank u... So what would you recommend out of the 2?

For a 55 get the 2217. You cannot go wrong with the classics. Theyre the best filters ive used by far, they really are brilliant and last a lifetime.

As for the fluval vs eheim arguement. I can compare the eheim 2217 with the fluval 406. Even though theyre a touch easier to access i would definitely buy a 2217 over another 406. I have a internal u4 too and for an internal theyre good. But i wont buy any other canister other than the classics from now on.

Once you find something that works and works well you stick with it and swear by it.

Last edited:
Both are good. I personally went with Ehiem as the LFSs near me have a very clear display of parts/media available.
Which to get will very much depend on your budget. You could consider the Eheim 2076 if $$$ is not a concern. Else like molliwopp suggest, 2217. Eheim 2036 might be just under powered unless you are setting it up with a secondary backup filter.

The classic looks like it does not have enough
Media to really clean??? Does it?? Compared
To the others ...

By clean what do you mean? For Biological filtration yes yes yes theyre the best, they just work. Once established youll never get a reading for ammonia ever again. If you want something to polish the water then look at the pro3.

I run a 2213 along side a U4 on a 52g fluval roma 200. And the water stays crystal clear and the ammonia.. forget about it, ive never had a reading for it since it was cycled.

Last edited:
Ohh so you run 2 filters ????? On the ehime do you
Fill the filter with media?? What's a u4??

Yeah i run 2 filter on all tanks as a precaution. A U4 is fluvals biggest 1000lph internal. It can be place horizontally or virtically. People say they dont like the sight on of an internal inside the tank and can understand if space is tight. I actually like to see it, to an untrained eye it gives a sense of high tech equipment and people ask me whats that.. i say a filter, and they say well what this.. i say a filter too. Its a kool felling

With the 2213 it has a basket you fill. You get some media supplied, but i bought a large amount of bio rings and afew more sponges and then spread them out with the white floss at the top.

Last edited:
Dont know if you can see that. Top right corner, horizontal. Above the heater. Powerhead sponge filter top left and the eheim intake next to the U4. This is my species only Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty cichlid) tank 3male 7 female theyre rock dwelling and oh so beautiful. Only thing the dont seem to chomp is anubias!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131121_052440.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131121_052440.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I think I see it, it's that big black waste of space that you don't need? LOL totally kidding I like your setup looks very clean and flush

By clean what do you mean? For Biological filtration yes yes yes theyre the best, they just work. Once established youll never get a reading for ammonia ever again. If you want something to polish the water then look at the pro3. I run a 2213 along side a U4 on a 52g fluval roma 200. And the water stays crystal clear and the ammonia.. forget about it, ive never had a reading for it since it was cycled.

I second that. I have also never had an ammonia reading on either of my tanks since they cycled. The water is pristine and the silence is deafening lol. The biological filtration is great, it's easy to clean and easy to prime. They're a winner in my book but they are also the only canister filter I've owned so I have nothing to compare them with.

Back
Top Bottom