Filter intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylvr11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know I can use a sponge to cover my filter intake. But what kind and how do I go about doing this? Are there some already pre made to cover the intake?

*following* I still don't understand aquarium sponging, so I'm going to follow this.

Okay thank you! IMG_0457.jpg
For this one which one of those should I get ? It's a quiet flow 10

That web site has tons. If you email them and tell them what you have they will recommend one.

Personally, I found sponges to be a pain... they restricted water flow if not squeezed out often. If you're handy with a needle, you could get some small holed fabric from the craft store like toulle, and sew it onto the intake. I've got some sewn onto every one of my filters like a little glove, and if it gets clogged, I just shake the tube into a bucket of waste water during water changes. Works like a charm for my shrimp, snails, and betta.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard of people using a knee high (like panty hose) and cutting off what they need and using either a rubber band or aquarium safe hose clamp or something to hold it on.

If it gets damaged they're pretty cheap to replace and to clean. I think you can buy a pair at Walmart for like 2$

I just buy the sponge replacement for Aquaclear hob filters and cut a hole in the center with a pair of scissors, but not all the way. Cheap easy and last forever, just clean every other water change.

I know I can use a sponge to cover my filter intake. But what kind and how do I go about doing this? Are there some already pre made to cover the intake?
Check out the LFS for their range and take something the same size a the intake with you. You probably want a coarse grade sponge. It's a hang on so depending on the size of the sponge it will probably be held in place by the intake and the side glass. If not you can adjust the intake pipe size by slipping a grommet over it.

If you decide to change from sponge you could also go with stainless steel mesh cover. It's what I did for my soon to be RCS tank. Just waiting on the RCS. Was like $6 for it
IMG_4366.jpg

Back
Top Bottom