Filter Intake Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 350 Bio-wheel, with a long intake extension. I was wondering if its better for it to be deep or more towards the surface? Just curious as I have it deep at the moment.

Good question. I have one and mine is deep but I had to put a sponge filter around it because fish kept getting sucked into it. My logic was if it is deep it is close to the bottom and a lot of the "garbage" down there gets sucked in and filtered. Curious to see what people have to say

I like to have mine more towards the bottom too. It gives me peace of mind that it isn't sucking in the water that just got filtered.

I have a 350 Bio-wheel, with a long intake extension. I was wondering if its better for it to be deep or more towards the surface? Just curious as I have it deep at the moment.

Can I ask what you're using for the extension? I have an AquaClear HOB and the intake is very short; I'd like to get it closer to the bottom but haven't seen a filter intake extension in either of the two pet stores I've been to. Is there such a thing or did you DIY one?

Can I ask what you're using for the extension? I have an AquaClear HOB and the intake is very short; I'd like to get it closer to the bottom but haven't seen a filter intake extension in either of the two pet stores I've been to. Is there such a thing or did you DIY one?

the aquaclear does have an extension tube!

its basically another intake tube, and you just join it together with your current one.

I believe all intake tubes for the aquaclear are the same sizes, so you can just add as necessary.

the aquaclear does have an extension tube!

its basically another intake tube, and you just join it together with your current one.

I believe all intake tubes for the aquaclear are the same sizes, so you can just add as necessary.

You mean it comes with one? Hm, I didn't see one in my box! I kept the box though I'll check, but I don't think I saw one. Do they sell them separately?

darby said:
I like to have mine more towards the bottom too. It gives me peace of mind that it isn't sucking in the water that just got filtered.

I've been looking to buy an extension for my emperor 400's for that exact reason. Where can you I buy them?

You mean it comes with one? Hm, I didn't see one in my box! I kept the box though I'll check, but I don't think I saw one. Do they sell them separately?

the box only comes with 1 intake tube.

Additional intake tubes (i.e. extension tubes) are sold separately:
for aquaclear 20, 30, 50 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hagen-Aq...115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a694f0f53

for aquaclear 70, 110 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hagen-Aq...002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a694d2a82

hope that helps.

Good point, I was just curious. I just think they tend to be a tad bit ugly :( I'm going to be switching to a sump with the new 90 build.

Mine came with an adjustment (extension) for mine.

Thanks to the good advice given in this thread, I will be adding the extension tube to my aquaclear 30 in the morning. :)

Aquaclears come with 2 intake tubes model 50 and up, cant say for the smaller aquaclears as i never used them

Ant329 said:
Aquaclears come with 2 intake tubes model 50 and up, cant say for the smaller aquaclears as i never used them

My aquaclear 30 came with two tubes.... I just put the other one in a minute ago.

My 2 A/C 50's came with 2 tubes each. I used all 4 on 1 of the filters and pieced together the inlet tube for the other with old filter parts I never threw away.
I have a tall tank so its important to get the water up to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom