filter intake question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I recently added shrimp to my tank. In order to not get them sucked up into my Rena XP3 intake, what material is best to cover intake with? I do not want to reduce water flow, but just protect the baby shrimp. I heard nylon stocking, or filter foam/sponge, are ok. Which is less stress on pump?

I dont want to stress the filter pump any more than it has to considering it is also pushing through the CO2 reactor.

thanks
Cliff NY

Hi Cliff, I usually use a sponge over the in take when I have fry. Just remember to clean it with each water change and it will not affect your filter performance.

mike,
When u say "sponge" are you referrring to a Filter sponge like an Aqua Clear filter sponge?
thanks

That's exactly what I'm using. I bought some AC sponges, and I cut them to size, use my knife to make a slit and slide it on.

I just got some extra XP3 sponges, and used scissors and snipped a hole big enough to slip it over the filter intake, then used scissors to cut the rest of it to the size and shape I wanted. Worked great. Can use either the coarse sponge or the medium.

I use AC 50 sponges. The flow stays good and the best part is, it keeps the junk out of the cannisters, much less maintenance work.

Thanks Folks!!
You have just saved some baby shrimp life! Feel good!

I used my extra XP3 sponge to keep my baby Bolivians safe, hehe... Too bad they got eaten though, lol. At least it wasn't by the filter, lol. ;)

Any of the sponges will work great. Just make sure there's no large hole in the top of the sponge, where the intake goes in. They can get down in there.

I've been considering using the fine 80-100micron media bag. are those sufficient? I hate having those bulky sponges in there, although they do work there.

Just remember that the closer the fish or shrimp get to the intake, the stronger the pull of the water is going to be, and you don't want the babies to get stuck to the intake and not be able to free themselves. Could try adding a little filter floss in the bag, wrapped around the intake. That will give a little distance so the pull of the water isn't near as strong.

Also, using the sponges seems to provide a nice place for things shrimp like to eat to grow on. Mine always seems to be covered with feasting shrimp.

I tried nylon stockings for a while, They seemed to clog up pretty fast - I would not recommend them. I would expect the filter bags to clog quickly also.

Back
Top Bottom