Filter killed fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my glofish got its tail sucked up against the filter, and it died! How can I be sure this doesn't happen to my other fish? Will they just learn not to swim near the intake, or what can I do???

I have a bunch of wild minnows and when one or two got sucked up the rest wouldn't go near the intake so ya

I'd be willing to bet the fish was sick and dying prior to get sucked up by any filter, I've got huge canisters that many small fish swim past the intake tube with ease.

Unless you have a ridiculously powerful filter ... Fish generally do not get sucked up / stuck to the intake. My guess is it was sick and too weak to swim away.

Thanks guys! That makes me feel better. I did just get the fish that died, so hopefully he was just a sick one...

My tank is cycled. I cycled this tank using media from my previously cycled tank (i just recently upsized). I haven't checked parameters yet. All of my other fish seem to be doing fine, so hopefully they won't get sick. I've only had the one fish for two days, so I'm hoping he was just a weak one from the start (considering I got that one from Walmart to be a friend to my previous two glofish).

Ok, I did some water tests. All my parameters were fine. My ph was a tad high, but all else was fine. I know some people will disagree with this, but I added a little "ph decrease" to hopefully bring the level down a bit. It was 7.6, but that shouldn't have killed the fish, should it?

From what I've heard, ph isn't too critical....mine is also 7.6 and no amount of ph down makes it go down so I just leave it alone

I'll second the others and say that it sounds like your fish was sick, and too weak to resist the filter and then died.

I wouldn't mess with the pH at all; your fish will adjust to what comes out of your tap, and for your purposes, those chemicals are pretty much a scam. :ermm: I'm not saying whether or not to use it, I'm just mildly suggesting that you not bother with it because it won't really help your situation.

Also, just to check, are you using a liquid test kit? Those do wonders! It took me a while to realize that :lol:
Just some thoughts. I don't mean to be condescending or tell you anything you don't need to know :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom