Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is a really good filter media for an aqueon quiet flow 30 HOB? The replacement things are bs am I correct?

I love my fish!!!

What do you mean the replacement things? The carbon? It's a matter of opinion, carbon is good for removing medications, eliminating odors, soaking in tannins. But unless you're trying to do any of those, then no, it's not needed.

As far as other filter media, just go with the Aquaclear foam sponges and Aquaclear BioMax. Those won't need replaced unless actually falling apart.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info. I'll just leave the carbon cartridge on there until it's falling apart and add the foam and biomax

I love my fish!!!

What do you mean the replacement things? The carbon? It's a matter of opinion, carbon is good for removing medications, eliminating odors, soaking in tannins. But unless you're trying to do any of those, then no, it's not needed.

As far as other filter media, just go with the Aquaclear foam sponges and Aquaclear BioMax. Those won't need replaced unless actually falling apart.

How should I put it in just stuff it in the back? Foam first or biomax first? I googled it would the whole bag fit?

I love my fish!!!

Carbon can pollute your water after a month, that's why they say to replace it. Carbon is chemical filtration which you only need when using medications, etc.

The foam sponges are your mechanical, catching all debris. And your BioMax is your biological with your beneficial bacteria. You want the water in the filter to go through your mechanical filtration first then your biological, then out to the tank.

If it's made for your filter it should all fit. If it doesn't then just cut it to make it fit.

Carbon can pollute your water after a month, that's why they say to replace it. Carbon is chemical filtration which you only need when using medications, etc.

The foam sponges are your mechanical, catching all debris. And your BioMax is your biological with your beneficial bacteria. You want the water in the filter to go through your mechanical filtration first then your biological, then out to the tank.

If it's made for your filter it should all fit. If it doesn't then just cut it to make it fit.

Ok awesome. So one last question. You said when it is falling apart? Does the biomax eventually break down?

I love my fish!!!

Ok awesome. So one last question. You said when it is falling apart? Does the biomax eventually break down?

I love my fish!!!

No, not for a long *** time anyways. Just clean them off every once in awhile in used tank water and you'll be good, same with the sponges. Realistically you shouldn't need to change any media in the filter for quite awhile, you'll just need to rinse it in dechlorinated water when it starts getting nasty.

No, not for a long *** time anyways. Just clean them off every once in awhile in used tank water and you'll be good, same with the sponges. Realistically you shouldn't need to change any media in the filter for quite awhile, you'll just need to rinse it in dechlorinated water when it starts getting nasty.

Does carbon remove glut, or different fertilizers like iron?

I love my fish!!!

Because I don't want that. I may need to do a lfs run today to get that media.

I love my fish!!!

Because I don't want that. I may need to do a lfs run today to get that media.

I love my fish!!!

Just don't use carbon. I think if I remember correctly it will remove a portion of fertilizers. But really, you don't need carbon unless you're medicating the tank. Just don't use it.

I have biomax that has been a fully cycled tank for 5 months now. I haven't changed sponge, and won't nor the biomax, but I see that the biomax doesn't seem to have anything on it. The BB seem to be accumulating just on/in the sponge.

Is this normal?

I have biomax that has been a fully cycled tank for 5 months now. I haven't changed sponge, and won't nor the biomax, but I see that the biomax doesn't seem to have anything on it. The BB seem to be accumulating just on/in the sponge.

Is this normal?

You can't see the bacteria...so I'm not sure what you're meaning. You might just be seeing organic waste, in which case you should rinse the sponge in old tank water.

You can't see the bacteria...so I'm not sure what you're meaning. You might just be seeing organic waste, in which case you should rinse the sponge in old tank water.

Huh, I had always understood them to be slime forming bacteria that fix to substrates rather than free floating bacteria. My biowheel filters had a brown goo all over the biological stage. So was the brown something else?

Will I ever see any kind of shine to the biomax rocks? They look just new right now. Also my sponge is discoloring and I had thought that was the BB as well.

Huh, I had always understood them to be slime forming bacteria that fix to substrates rather than free floating bacteria. My biowheel filters had a brown goo all over the biological stage. So was the brown something else?

Will I ever see any kind of shine to the biomax rocks? They look just new right now. Also my sponge is discoloring and I had thought that was the BB as well.

The brown goo is just decaying matter. Beneficial bacteria produces a biofilm to adhere to surfaces, but it's not clearly visible. The brown goo may hold some of the beneficial bacteria but it's mainly host to decomposing bacteria rather than the beneficial bacteria you're aiming for. Remember there's beneficial bacteria on every surface inside your tank as well, if it were all stuck on by brown goo you'd see it on your glass, decorations, etc.

Back
Top Bottom