Filter media & algae: problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
So all of my filter media has grown this nasty green hair algae. I don't know why (or how, since it's literally housed in a black box) but it has. It started to jam up my filter, as I discovered today, so I've removed all the media (keeping it wet in tank water in a Tupperware rn), and replaced with some new foam, but that's all I've got! I'm worried it'll be thrown into a mini cycle and hurt the fish. Right now my plan is to buy a new pair of pantyhose and cut them into little media sacks to replace the algae covered netting that's currently holding the media. And to get fresh media in the filter to start aging.
Is there anything else/better I can do?
And how the heck did I get hair algae inside a filter to begin with?? It's not in my tank, just the filter!

10g community: tetras, danios, mollies, SAE w unknown capacity Marineland filter

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

could you take a picture of the algae and the filter?
Filter:
uzyjypa6.jpg

Media:
a6e2e6as.jpg

Algae:
a8e6usat.jpg

I got it all out of the filter asap, so I don't have any good pictures of it in moving water....

I doubt it's hair algae but some other sort of filamentous algae. Perhaps Spirogyra?

You could try broadcast treating your tank with Hydrogen peroxide and see if that works. 20 mL of regular hydrogen peroxide and turn the lights off for 15 minutes while it circulates around. It might take care of it, but it might not. I'm not 100% sure.

I doubt it's hair algae but some other sort of filamentous algae. Perhaps Spirogyra?

You could try broadcast treating your tank with Hydrogen peroxide and see if that works. 20 mL of regular hydrogen peroxide and turn the lights off for 15 minutes while it circulates around. It might take care of it, but it might not. I'm not 100% sure.

And that's safe for my fish and snails?

Back
Top Bottom