Filter Media Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
So.. I've had my tank for a few months now. The filter media is getting extremely gross and gunked up. I have a Penguin 100 HOB filter, with biowheel. Is it okay for me to change the filter? When I first started my tank, I was told I never needed/should change my filter. What's the next step for me here? Do I buy a penguin refill designed for my filter, or just any random media, and cut it to fit? Thanks! 8)

If I'm not mistaken, the Penguin 100 is a redesign of the Penguin Mini, of which I own three.

Every two or three weeks, I pull out the Penguin cartridge and rinse it off in tank water, or even under the tap. Most of the biofilter bacteria live on the pleated biowheel, so this has worked OK for me. I get about four months of use out of each cartridge before it starts to fall apart, and I have to replace it. Again, since most of the good bacteria are on the biowheel, I've never noticed an ammonia spike after replacing a cartridge.
I NEVER touch the biowheel itself - sometimes I wipe some mineral crud off the axle to ensure that it remains free-spinning.

Back
Top Bottom