Filter media recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amen. Use Purigen AND 50 to 100 micron polishing pads and your crystal clear water will make your tank a showpiece.

I forgot my 406 actually came with polishing pads as well. They are installed in the top basket along with the carbon bags. I picked up some more BioMax to replace the carbon in tray three, so my end result will look something like this:

Tray 1 (top): Purigen/Polishing Pads
Trays 2 & 3 (middle): BioMax
Tray 4 (bottom): BioFoam

I just need to figure out how much Purigen I need and I'll probably just buy some media bags to put it in.

I forgot my 406 actually came with polishing pads as well. They are installed in the top basket along with the carbon bags. I picked up some more BioMax to replace the carbon in tray three, so my end result will look something like this:

Tray 1 (top): Purigen/Polishing Pads
Trays 2 & 3 (middle): BioMax
Tray 4 (bottom): BioFoam

I just need to figure out how much Purigen I need and I'll probably just buy some media bags to put it in.
100ml would be plenty. The more you add the longer between recharging. You CANNOT overdose Purigen. I believe 100ml is good for 100g

100ml would be plenty. The more you add the longer between recharging. You CANNOT overdose Purigen. I believe 100ml is good for 100g

Okay sounds good. What's the average time frame before a recharge is needed for that amount?

Okay sounds good. What's the average time frame before a recharge is needed for that amount?
It really depends on your stock levels. I would guess at least 3 months. Check it every month and flip it over to use all the media inside. When it's a dark brown, it's time to recharge it or replace it. I think it can be recharged up to 6 times but with each recharge it's less efficient.

It really depends on your stock levels. I would guess at least 3 months. Check it every month and flip it over to use all the media inside. When it's a dark brown, it's time to recharge it or replace it. I think it can be recharged up to 6 times but with each recharge it's less efficient.

That's not bad. I just ordered 4 100ml bags from Amazon so when I go to perform my first filter maintenance next week I'll be changing out the carbon with 2 of the Purigen bags and a tray full of BioMax.

Thanks again to all of you for the advice!

So my Purigen came today, got it installed...in both of my filters. I decided to add a 2nd Fluval 406. Both now have Purigen & polishing pads on the top trays, BioMax in the 2nd and 3rd trays and BioFoam in the bottom trays. The tank got cloudy again after my last water change, so hopefully the Purigen will aid in clearing that up.

Current stock is:

Black Skirt Tetra x 6
Red Wag Platy x 6
Yellow Guppy x 4
Angelicus Botia Loach x 6

The tank is over 4 weeks old now and all fish are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom