Filter Media - What does everyone use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Curious to know which filter media everyone uses.

I have Aquaclear 70 HOB filter, on 27g tank.

Filter media:

Mechanical/Polish: Aquaclear sponge, poly-fil.
Bio-media : Marine pure, Seachem Matrix, Aquaclear biomax.
Chemical: Nothing. (although I want to try Seachem Purigen, once my cycle is 100% complete. I love the crystal clear look of tanks.)

Whats everyone else got?

I have an overhead filter and what I use is

Bio Balls
2 x Wool/Sponge
Ceramic Rings

I had carbon in before but took it out and replaced with the sponges

29 Gallon tank with Fluval C3:

Fluval Edge pre-filter > Fluval Poly/foam pad > Seachem Purigan & Acurel filter fiber (floss?) in the carbon chamber (removed carbon on Day 9) > Fluval C nodes and as much Seachem Matrix as would fit (which isn't much)

[Tank established Aug 26th with fish in cycle (10 minnows @ 10 cents each) + C3 filter seeded with filter media from established 38 gallon and 50% of the water from the established tank. Water became crystal clear and polished within 24 hours of replacing the carbon with Purigen and API test showed Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates under 5ppm. ]

38 gallon with 30-60 aqua-tech [330 GPH] with two "chambers"

Pre-filter homemade with Acurel filter fiber in a biobag for an aquaclear 70

> Left chamber: Seachem Matrix in bio bag > Standard Aqua-Tech filter cartridge* > Aqua-Tech BIO-Fiber

> Right chamber: 100 Micron filter (polishing?) pad cut to fit > Seachem Purigen > Aqua-Tech BIO-Fiber.

Water is crystal clear & polished.

* will be replaced with cut to fit pads ..... but I was dumb enough to buy replacement cartridges when I bought the filter in July .... before I joined this forum :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom