Filter noise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heyz :)

Last night I couldn't sleep becouse last 2 days my filter keeps making jet-like scratching sounds.

I got angry and putted my older filter (150l/hour) which isn't suited for the tank but what ever. At least I got some sleep.

My filter I putted in a bucket with water so the bacteria wouldn't die.

This morning I cleaned the tank and so on.

I googled all over!!! Some say it's air trapped in the filter others say it's the snails.

I have found like 10 snails in my filter, but they would've smashed to pieces if got into the propellor.

Now It's running and quiet, let's see how long it will last.

Any idea's on what it could be.

filter: BINNENFILTER STING RAY - €15.50 : Dierenspulletjes, uw online dierenwinkel
(click the image for bigger view)

It's not a popular filter. And I don't have the box or anything from this filter, I bought it with the tank and heater.

Sometimes the heater also makes brooming sound when it's on... That's normal I hope.

Well, I've honestly never heard any of my heaters make any noise. As for the filter, its probably one of two things. Either cavitation or dirty. If you've had snails get in to it, its probably them. Normally, cavitation is easily cured in an HOB filter by priming it. I'd take out the impeller and clean it real good first.

Well, I've honestly never heard any of my heaters make any noise. As for the filter, its probably one of two things. Either cavitation or dirty. If you've had snails get in to it, its probably them. Normally, cavitation is easily cured in an HOB filter by priming it. I'd take out the impeller and clean it real good first.
Until now it's noisless ;)

When it starts again (let's hope it won't) then I will do a Full clean.

But how do I open the filter to where to motor is?

I didn't see any screws or anything.

Most filters have an intake tube that is detachable. One my small HOB it snaps in, on my larger one it just sort of sits and almost clicks into place. If you take that off, the impeller should be there, or somewhere along the intake line.

Hey again, it's still making noise every hour or less.
I arleady cleaned it like three times.

It's an internal filter not a HOB one. It's an internal power filter (sting ray 300)
It has a propellor inside which I cleaned lot of times.
It also has the sponge for bacteria and another room where there are stones? I don't know what they are it's a sack with stones or something.

Anyways. Is there a way to stop the noise, I am starting to think it's the motor... :shocked!:

So I wanted to ask also if problems would go worse, should a 150L/h filter do fine in a 54litre tank? (14gal)

Try soaking the impeller in vinegar and cleaning it really well. You may just end up replacing the impeller. The impeller from my Penguin HOB didn't get along with sand very well and started making horrible screeching sounds. I tried cleaning it and polishing the impeller shaft with very fine steel wool. It helped, but not much. I replaced the impeller and the noise went away until my raphael cat kicked up sand into the filter again. The Penguin was replaced with an AC70 and haven't had noise issues since. I'd liken your snail shells to sand.

A 150L/hr filter on a 54L tank probably isn't a good match. Rule of thumb is that you want your filter to turn over the tank six to ten times an hour. Look for filters in the 300-600L/hr range. The filters on my 29g and 20L turn the tank over ten times and fifteen times an hour respectively.

I use a Magnum 350 with a dual biowheel and it is totaly silent and works to perfection. Just my opinion. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom