Filter on while feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read in a couple of threads that some turn off their filters while feeding...is that something that many people do?

Aspencer said:
I read in a couple of threads that some turn off their filters while feeding...is that something that many people do?

I don't. I like it on, so that it gets food to the fish at the bottom.

I don't as I have bottom feeders and I want the filter to knock some food down before all the upper area swimmers eat it all.

This would be a good idea if all your fish swim in the mid/upper area.

Ever since I heard this tip, it's the only way I do it. It helps keep the substrate WAYYYYY cleaner. This way I feed only at the front of the tank where it is not planted and it makes vacuuming much easier as the back of the tank stays food free.

I still manage to easily get food down to the bottom by sticking my fingers into the water to drop it, instead of just sprinkling it on the surface. I also leave the filter off for about 5 minutes after feeding so food can be picked up by the fish before the filter goes back on and swirls it all around the tank.

I keep my filters on. I have bottom feeders, and all it really does is swirl the food around on the water's surface. The fish seem to like chasing their food anyway :p

--Adeeb

Filter stays on here ! They don't break down very often but the most load is when you turn the filter on, so what's the point adding extra load more often than really necessary. The food is better circulated when it's running, so all fish get a chance of fresh food too. If you were feeding when the light is off sometimes, that would be more benefit since some fish stock would naturally feed when it's dark (or getting dark), whereas the water wouldn't suddenly stop moving when food came along would it ? I'm not suggesting everyone should make their setup as realistic or natural as possible, 'cause where would all the 'ancient ruin' & 'galleon' ornaments live ??

No..I have way too many tanks and some of their surge protectors are behind furniture and stuff..it's enough for me to have to get back there and unplug for pwc's, I'm not going to do it every day for feeding. With good tank maintenance, it doesn't seem necessary to me. Maybe it would cut down on the frequency I need to gravel vac but ultimately, I'm going to gravel vac every week anyway. :)

^I agree. It can really become a pain to unplug your filter everyday for feeding... That's why I also leave it on.

I guess I'm outnumbered, lol. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way. I have no problem getting food to all the different level swimmers. I'd try it and see if you think it's worth the effort. I actually got the tip to try it from a mod/admin.

eco23 said:
I guess I'm outnumbered, lol. Personally I wouldn't do it any other way. I have no problem getting food to all the different level swimmers. I'd try it and see if you think it's worth the effort. I actually got the tip to try it from a mod/admin.

I like to as well and do most of the time, if I'm in a hurry in the morning though I don't because I don't want to forget to turn it back on!

I was a turner offer until two days ago when I forgot to turn it back on and one of my fish likely bit the dust because of it. I am going to try to leave the filter on and just feed more slowly so nothing gets to the bottom.

i leave mine on,most of my fish hang out at the bottom anyway,and even the ones that dont really dont seem to mind.

Back
Top Bottom