Filter options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanLikesFishAndBeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am working on converting my tall 20 gallon into a planted tank, I really need to upgrade my, hanging over the back crap filter. I want to go with a fluval canister but don't know which would be the best model suggestions? Also need ideas for a new heater.

I wouldn't do Fluval in a planted tank, unless you change the tubing - they get clogged very quickly with the corrugated design and are a headache to clean, a far better filter is the Eheim Ecco Pro 200, pair it up with an Eheim Jäger heater or even better a Hydor Inline Heater fitted to the Eheim outflow pipe and you have an amazing combo, no filter or heater in the tank, just plants, water and fish - the way it should be.

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/external-filters/ecco-pro-200

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/hydor-external-heater-200w-p-1205.html

http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/aquarium-heaters/eheim-jaeger-125W

Last edited:
Guess I've been lucky as I have both a Fluval FX5 and 406 on the 220g. Have other fluvals on different tanks. In line heaters are great my problem was there was none with enough watts for my size tanks without getting into unbelieveable dollars. It is nice to have everything run in line so there is less clutter in your tank. Also with the fluval ribbed tubing it makes doing in-line applications very hard. Had to get very creative when added a UV to one.

The tubbing on my old Fluval used to drive me mad, every time I tried to clean it I would get gunk coming out of it for ages. Good filters, poor tubing - though overall once I switched my gear to Eheim I've never looked back, seriously Rivercats the next time your buying some new gear give those Germans a look in!
I also slightly hate you because you own a 220g! But in a nice hate, like, I'm jealous sort of way :)

Last edited:
Couldn't you just buy some clear tubing from a hardware store? Because I'm really looking into this fluval.

German grandparents I'm all for German! Just got used to using Fluval in the 80's and it's just habit. And I swore after this 220g I was not getting any more tanks!

Last edited:
You could probably get some online or somewhere, not sure. If your really into one just go for it, they are a good filter, just a pain to clean - bound to be someone on here who has good tips for cleaning, and it will be a while before its really clogged with gunk depending on how much planting your doing, at which point you could just buy some new fluval tubing. I've recently bought an Eheim prefilter for my Ecco 300 which apparently lengthens periods between cleaning, you could check if Fluval sell something similar.

Girl, your letting your history down. Know what's its like getting stuck on a product range though - never get me away from my Seachem products, over my cold dead hands!

Last edited:
I finally de-pryed my hands from Seachem when I got such a large tank. So see I can change!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom