Filter plumbing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off I know as much about plumbing as astrophysics, k.

I currently have a Eheim pro 600 (330 gph) and a sunsun 303b (370 gph), gph is based of stock stats not my own flow testing.

So the issue I have is after months of adding and removing and changing my plumbing is a hot mess and I’m getting ready to fix it up change tubes for pvc and work on a better flow that doesn’t make me nervous about tubing popping out. My question is when I run my pvc can I run two pipes into one large one for the exhaust or would it be better to keep it as two different pipes?

I don’t know how much flow rate changes from 700 gph going through 1 inch pvc or 330/370 going through 1/2 in. I know the math comes out the same but does it flow the same?

I have a 110g tall tank (this was a tall saltwater tank given to me so it’s tall but works for my first big tank) so the pvc would run 3ft down on the inside of the tank for the intake make a U and run ~6 feet down to the canister, this is about the same for both. The out would run the length of the tank, then force up about 3 feet.

I would keep them separate .
For ease in maintnenace[not needing to shut down both]
Also in case one failed so the other would not feed back through it..

That’s why I bother you guys on this forum such an obvious answer I wouldn’t think of until it was to late.

Thank you thank you

I would keep them separate too. That way you could avoid dead spots in the tank with two separate outputs. Also the 1/2 inch PVC will give you faster flow. If your using 1/2 inch ID tubing from the filters you could go with 1/2 inch O,D, CPVC to the tank , it will fit in the 1/2 inch I.D. tube nicely.
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom