Filter problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecos4596

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 37 gallon cichlid tank with a Marineland Penguin 350, I bought the the filter yesterday. I will add pictures of what the lid looks like and all that jazz. I am making it work but it doesn't look all that good so any help would be greatly appreciated.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417974898.373924.jpg This is my temporary set up using my 10 gallon lid to hold the light on top of the tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417975054.838543.jpg cricked
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417975087.260013.jpg

I've never had any troubles like this before so any help would be kewl.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had a Penguin 200 in my 25 gal community tank and I loved it. Only thing I didnt like is that the outflow part of the filter is really low so the water level in the tank has to be sort of low. That was more an aesthetic problem than anything though. The bb will grow in the bio-wheels, just takes a while to get seeded. Are you having any specific issues with it?

Nvm, I just re-read your post lol. I don't think it looks bad at all, it just needs the cover on it. Maybe that's just me :)

Thanks yeah the issue is aesthetics but the other issue is it stops one of the bio wheels from turning if i put the lid on.

Is the old pushing up against the wheel? I had a penquin, didn't like it so sold it with my 55 gallon tank. The bio wheels were a pain to keep turning

When I had one my biowheel didn't turn all the time but water was always flowing. I think it's ok if it's not constantly turning, but if the cover makes it so the wheel can't turn at all, that is a problem.

I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

The wheel turns without a problem at all when the lid is off

If the wheel stops it can start to dry, which makes it more lopsided in weight, which really prevents turning, which can lead to drying and then the bacteria die.

That and if it isn't turning it likely isn't helping clean your water, so you're relying most on the bacteria in the filter cartridge. Which doesn't last forever.

I loved mine (my first filter) despite constant battles to keep the wheel turning ... until it died and I bought an an aquaclear. Now I'd never recommend the biowheel systems.

Maybe try having a glass cutter make a custom pane or two of glass or acrylic. They can cut one rectangle, and one with notches for the mechanicals and cords, and you can glue on a handle and set a light on top.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The only way to correct that is to either change to a glass top or modify the existing hood. I have that setup and don't use the hood for that exact reason.

View attachment 257704

I've never had any troubles like this before so any help would be kewl.

You could just cut the portion that is blocking it straight across even with the existing cut-out.
attachment.php

Looks like it is only a couple of inches.
Is there anything vital in that corner of the cover?
what is the little "chimney" thing sticking up on the cover?
fine toothed hacksaw, a couple minutes, problem solved.

You could just cut the portion that is blocking it straight across even with the existing cut-out.
attachment.php

Looks like it is only a couple of inches.
Is there anything vital in that corner of the cover?
what is the little "chimney" thing sticking up on the cover?
fine toothed hacksaw, a couple minutes, problem solved.

Yea there is a hinge there. its a solid plastic hood with a small removable part for feeding

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom