Filter Pump Priming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monte1214

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
- How are those of you with Cannister filters under your tank priming it after you've cleaned it?

- I tried the "suck starting" methos the other day, and needless to say I got an aweful mouthful!!

- There must be a better way???

- All help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I don't have any experience with those. As a rule of thumb however, to save time and aggrevation on priming my cannisters I fill them with water almost completely before starting them up.

- Understood, but even when doig that, it won't pull water up from the aquarium, and down to the canister.

wow, is there a shut off valve on the lines? in my fluvals, i just clean the filter, put my media back in, fill it up almost to the top with the hoses, put the top on, stick the hose connector in, open the valve, it primes itself.

Maybe you need to submerge the intake line in the tank, and suck on the output line of the canister till water starts flowing down and into the canister. Just a thought.

You could try pouring water in one line to prime the pump. A Turkey baster will help. Once the pump is full you may need to start and stop in until all the air is out of the system.

You could try pouring water in one line to prime the pump. A Turkey baster will help. Once the pump is full you may need to start and stop in until all the air is out of the system.

Heh that works too.. xD

Back
Top Bottom