Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally got my 55g and im beginning to set it up. I am unsure what type of filter to get for it though. It came with an undergravel but i was leaning more towards a HOB filter (dont really want to dish out a hundred bucks for a canister). Any brand or type that you guys recommend? I am planning on a freshwater setup that is unplanted, although I might change that in the future.

I'd go with a canister but since you are not wanting to go that route, I'd look at the AquaClear line. Best hob filter IMO.

The large filter at Walmart does just fine, and is cheap.

Aquatech 30-60 - Less than $40.

Depending on your bio load, it may be handy to add another later... when your fish get bigger.

okay thanks for the suggestions. I might go the canister route anyway and just wait a little longer to set up the tank but we will see

Well I was hoping to use a sand bottom for this tank since I plan on putting a few loaches and catfish in this tank and had read that sand will clog your undergravel filter. Otherwise i would use it for this tank

canister

I'm not sure how handy you are, but i just built a canister filter and bought enough filter medium to last me a year for less than a hundred. And, now that it is running, I'm seeing a few design flaws which, if I had see then earlier, i probably could have saved a few bucks. All in all it took me about 4 hours to build. I used a 2' long piece of 4'' sch 40 PVC (It is acutally a little longer because of the cap and clean out), a stick of 1/2'' PVC, a handfull of fittings, a few valves and unions, and it is up a running.

I'm not sure how handy you are, but i just built a canister filter and bought enough filter medium to last me a year for less than a hundred. And, now that it is running, I'm seeing a few design flaws which, if I had see then earlier, i probably could have saved a few bucks. All in all it took me about 4 hours to build. I used a 2' long piece of 4'' sch 40 PVC (It is acutally a little longer because of the cap and clean out), a stick of 1/2'' PVC, a handfull of fittings, a few valves and unions, and it is up a running.

I'd sure like to see some pics or plans!

:D

Back
Top Bottom