Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambush0908

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 75 gal tank with (2) Aquaclear 50 HOB filters and (1) Aqueon Quietflow 55/75. I was going to replace the 2 50's with an Aquaclear 110. I am starting to think I am overthinking the situation. Does anyone think there would be a solid enough reason to make this switch. Water quality is not an issue. I do frequent water changes and have removed all Carbon. I am using purigen in one of the 50's. other wise I am using sponges, filter foam and bio media.

Thanks

As long as they are keeping up with the tank's needs, I don't see any reason to change out. A lot of times having two smaller filters instead of one big one can actually be more beneficial since they can be placed at opposite ends of the tank.
See if anyone else replies, though. I know some about filters, but I know there are others with better knowledge on them specifically than me :angel:

am...

The thing to remember is a filter system doesn't keep the water clean, because it can't remove the old water and replace it. It can only take in toxic tank water and return the water a bit less toxic. Your water change is the true filter. If you're removing and replacing half or more of the water weekly, your filter is just filtering water that's already clean. If you have the money, then get the best, something along the lines of a canister filter. They're supposedly the best for larger tanks. If you're a good water changer, then your current set up is really enough.

I keep several 55 and 60 gallon tanks and use simple, dual sponge filters, I also change out most of the tank water every week, so the tank water stays clear of dissolved waste material.

My advice is to simply change most of the tank water every week and service the current filters when you do the water change. Your tanks will run efficiently.

B

Thanks to both of you. I think I will stay with current set up. I am a frequent water changer. 3 times weekly with one being 40-50%. I have gone away from Carbon so what you say makes sense and saved me a little $$!

Back
Top Bottom