Filter question please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamwallaby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just installed my new eheim 2215. Do I have to keep running the whisper 40i or should there be enough bacteria in the tank already to help establish a colony in the Eheim? If I must run both, how long?

Just installed my new eheim 2215. Do I have to keep running the whisper 40i or should there be enough bacteria in the tank already to help establish a colony in the Eheim? If I must run both, how long?

Most will tell you to keep them both running for a few weeks, 2-3 should suffice but some will say more.

What media would I move? It has carbon inside a floss material and a small black sponge. The 40i has been making an awful noise. Was hoping not to have it on too much

How long has your other filter been up and running? It really doesnt matter what media it is you move over, as long as it's well established. You may have a good amount of bb built up already. My old filter burned up yesterday, so I moved the media over to the new filter.

Dreamwallaby said:
Other filter has been up for about 6 months.

Other filter as in the ehiem? If so you most likely have enough be in the filter but i would check the params of your water to make aure you dont mini cycle. if you meant 6 months for your other filter I would transfer the media over to the new filter and check your water param to make sure the is enough by if you can't get it all in.

Sorry, 40i has been up for 6 months, tank has been up for a year (first filter wasn't enough). Today I put the Eheim on.

Just check your water params to make sure you don't go through a minicycle. If you just added the filter with the other one you should be fine then.

Dreamwallaby said:
Sorry, 40i has been up for 6 months, tank has been up for a year (first filter wasn't enough). Today I put the Eheim on.

I would move as much media from the 40i to the Eheim and keep an eye on your water params.

Back
Top Bottom