Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spangler2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have (2) 30 aqueon power filters for my 55g tank. I've been running them with no issues for almost a year now without changing the filters. The only things I change is the poly fill that I stuff in behind the canisters to aid in polishing the water.
Should I be changing these filters? They are not falling apart yet but they are full of junk. i made this mistake of pulling one out to inspect it and all the junk filled the tank.

did an immediate 30-40% water change to remove alot of it.. Fish are still doing great.

12 assorted guppies (6 male 6 female)

4 albino cory cats, (2 male 2 female)
5 blach kuhli loaches
6 medium glo tetras

my cory cats just laid eggs and ive hatched them, now i'm starting them on fry food in a seprate 10g tank. just curious on the filtration

thanks in advance

Thanks

span...

I service the filters every time I change the tank water. To guarantee a healthy tank, you need to remove and replace most of the tank water weekly and treat the filter system with the same commitment. Partial water changes still leave most of the old polluted water in the tank and a clogged filter isn't filtering the water very well.

B

it says to replace these every 4-6 weeks but i heard conflicting suggestions where you dont want to replace them until their are falling apart because if you replace both at the same time you lose most of your bacteria colony..

so change these?

span...

The bacteria colony lives on all the surfaces inside the tank, not only in the filter media. I keep several 55 and 60 gallon tanks and remove and replace the old media every couple of weeks and my fish are fine. If you have a concern, then when you perform a water change, then simply squeeze out the filter media in some of the old tank water and put it back into the filter. Work up to the point you're removing and replacing at least half the water weekly. The filter won't have to work as hard and the media will last even longer. The more water you change and the more often you do it, the healthier the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom