Filter recommendation for my 10 G Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

46GFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I want to get some opinions on whether the filter for my tank is creating too much current for my Betta fish. I just added him to the tank 4 days ago and he is exploring it more every day. He's been mostly staying on the side with minimal current but I saw him get pushed by the HOB waterfall today and he came close to rubbing on the gravel. He has been able to eat his pellets with no problem as they aren't in the area directly by the waterfall.IMG_20170611_183825.jpgIMG_20170612_195439.jpg

I have a 10 gallon tank with heater, HOB filter (tetra filter that came with the tank). The tank is cycled.
Readings today:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
pH 7.8
Temp 80 F

Tank occupants:
1 Male Betta fish
1 White mystery snail or apple snail.

I read today that sponge filters are not recommended with snails as they might try to eat it?

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions!

It sounds ok to me on flow. Sounds like he has some quiet areas but there is good flow from filter. My angelfish will get swept by the filter flow every so often with no issues.

I agree that it should be fine as he has a place to relax. As for the sponge filter I've never had a problem with pond snails or apple snails ever eating the sponges. So if you decide to go that route it should be fine!

I love my aquaclear filter - you can control the flow of water and they work really well and are quiet (in my experience). For a 10g tank, you could get the aquaclear 20 (it's for 5-20 gallon tanks).

Yeah, I've kept bettas with an AC20 filter before, turning the flow down to half or below. He loved it. In fact, he'd sometimes play in the flow, swimming against it a few times before going for a rest. :)

Back
Top Bottom