Filter setting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK. In my small aquarium I have my external power filter and am wondering what setting to put it on. When its on high power, it pushes the fish away, and I would think the filter would wear out quicker, but there would be clearer water, and the current is probably good exercise. When its on low, it dosn't provide much of a current, so my fish rarly struggle. What would you all suggest?

i don't think it will wear out quicker on high dude, its just going to do more for your tank. by the way nate, my tadpole is getting white splotches on his tail, what does this mean!?

Actually I bet it would wear out the filter faster. Just think, the more water passing through the filter=more of all the algae and other junk thats in the water getting caught in the filter.

My theory is, You can't have too much filtration. Run it on high, unless it is beating the daylights out of you fish. BTW what brand of filter is it?

It won't wear out any faster because no matter where you set the water flow, the impeller is still turning the same speed. I run all mine wide open. If it's beating the fish up though, you may need to turn the flow down a little. I don't think I'd turn it down all the way though.
Logan J

It depends on the type of setup you have. If you are trying to recreate the habitat of a particular species, then you should find out what kind of current they live in. I have one eternal power filter that I run on the lowest setting all the time because I have a black water tank with cardinal tetras that calls for very still water, plus I have C02 injection that needs as little agitation on the water surface as possible to work properly.

I'm dont know how much it is beating up the fish, but if it were the 10 gal. is enough to give them places to escape from it. Its an aquaclear mini.

Back
Top Bottom