filter stopped working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have another huge problem, I unplugged my filter to do a water change, plug it back in...its not starting up what the hell

What type of filter? If it's an HOB, you usually have to fill it with water. Before I fill mine, I plug it in an use something to give the impeller a little spin to get it going.

Thought we were gonners, played with it and it starter back up

lyric112209 said:
So I have another huge problem, I unplugged my filter to do a water change, plug it back in...its not starting up what the hell

Yep, I have one that does sometimes. Usually I can unplug it & plug it back in. Another filter I had wouldn't start back up & I had to take the whole thing apart to get it going. Luckily for me neither was truly broke.

Glad to hear you got it going! Out of curiosity though, which filter are you using. I ask because this happens to my Aquaclear and an Aqueon I received in a kit. I no longer use the Aqueon for this reason and othèrs.

Yeah.....Aquaclears are good filters, they just need a little help restarting sometimes. No biggie. When you do your filter cleaning, just make sure you take the little door off inside, where the intake goes into. You will see the impeller. Make sure you clean in their and move it around a little.

creic38 said:
Yeah.....Aquaclears are good filters, they just need a little help restarting sometimes. No biggie. When you do your filter cleaning, just make sure you take the little door off inside, where the intake goes into. You will see the impeller. Make sure you clean in their and move it around a little.

Thanks for that info...wasn't quite sure where or how to get to it

No problem! Like I said, make sure you clean in there when you clean the filter. As you can see, stuff gets in through the intake, and there's really nothing to protect that thing. Stuff will build up quick if you neglect that part. You can take a precaution by using a prefilter. I usually throw nylon pantyhose over the intake tube and secure it with a rubber band.

Glad to hear you got it going! Out of curiosity though, which filter are you using. I ask because this happens to my Aquaclear and an Aqueon I received in a kit. I no longer use the Aqueon for this reason and othèrs.

That's interesting about the Aqueon. All of the Aqueons I have start up without adding water at all. They can start up completely dry if the tank water is nearly full.

I've heard good things about them.....can't figure out what is wrong with mine. I shut it down to clean it once and couldn't get it going again. I I used it again on a new tank, was working. Shut it down again for a cleaning, same thing happened. I still have it, but I don't trust it anymore. Maybe I got a lemon.

Back
Top Bottom