Filter Swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a SunSun canister filter to replace my penguin HOB. I have set up the canister filter and I am currently running it with the HOB in tandem. How long before I can decommission the loud HOB?

The tank has been cycled for a few years now.
30 gallon planted goldfish setup. Heavily planted, lightly stocked.

I have both running now, only issue is the HOB is super loud and I don't need it once the canister is good to go.

OK. I would wait at least a month. maybe sometime in the future look at an Aquaclear HOB to run alongside your sunSun.

Put the media from the hob in the canister.
Remove hob.
Remove hob media from canister in small amounts over a month or so.
Or just leave it in!

If the tank is well established it should be easy as that.

If you leave the hob media in the canister, if you need a quarantine, grab it back, stick it back in the hob, ta daa! Instant quarantine ready filter.

Only issue is the HOB media is that stupid wheel that penguin uses nothing that can easily go in the canister.

Cut the corrugated material out of the bio wheel (sounds like you won't be using it in the future) and put it in the canister.

I'll cut up the bio whee and get it on my canister. Cross my fingers and hope for the best. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom