Filter too baffled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello - I recently completed a fishless cycle in my 54 gallon tank. I have stocked it with 10 harlequin rasboras and 11 neon tetras, and then on Tuesday my LFS will have in my honey gouramis and 15 pygmy cories. I have a Rena Filstar XP3 filter.

The filter was absolutely blowing around the poor neons and rasboras. I gave them overnight to see if they would get used to it, and they just kind of huddled in the far corner away from the filter outflow. So I put a prefilter sponge over the outflow - I also have one in the intake. If I put my hand near the outflow, I can definitely feel the current. But the sponge just disperses it. The second I put the sponge on, the fish started schooling all over the place, exploring happily.

My question (sorry for the long explanation) - is there such a thing as too baffled?? I don't think it's actually slowing down the flow of the filter in any way as to put strain on the motor/etc. The sponge just slows the current. But am I running an oxygen/gas exchange issue now? I have one airstone in the far corner of the tank, and I'm going to get a new air pump so I can run another stone in the other corner - I have a splitter, but my pump is only powerful enough to run one. I don't want the water to become stagnant, but I also don't want the poor little guys to feel harassed. The surface of the water has a slight movement, and I'm thinking the second airstone will help with that. Should I take off the sponge?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom