Filter too strong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Think the flow from my filter is too strong for my betta how can I lessen it? He seems to be staying near the bottom and getting pushed around, it may be because I've just woken him up though! He seemed ok this morning but I'm a bit worried thanks! :)

does your filter have a flow rate adjuster? if so bring the flow rate down a bit, if it doesn't, you can make something (piece of plastic/acrylic etc.) that the water hits and spreads out over a larger area, therefore reducing the current. What filter/tank size do you have?

I have a fluval U2 on a 15 us gal tank. You can Change it so the water comes our of the top, along te length or a bottom spout, I don't think I can turn it down will have to try and make something :O

Ok so I've found an attachment from another filter that helps, but can't get it to stay on. Can I use Sellotape safely in the tank?? Any ideas?

Pretty sure there are special made epoxies for aquarium use, but many people just use super glue, and I myself have hot glue holding on a filter intake, not sure the tape will work

I doubt tape will work also. Super glue, epoxy or, for a less permanent option, "hot glue" or aquarium safe silicon.

Thanks but with the glue won't I need to leave the filter out for ages so it can dry? Would tape leave any nasties in te tank?

Not sure I would trust tape as the adhesive would likely dissolve over a short time. Super glue would be just about instant. The two part epoxy "clay" that salties use to fix corals to their rocks is just about instant also. Normal liquid or paste epoxy would probably take 24 hours to cure. Hot glue would be ready in a minute or two. Silicon would be ready in a couple to a few hours.

For speed and the ability to remove in the future I would go with hot glue.

Not sure I would trust tape as the adhesive would likely dissolve over a short time. Super glue would be just about instant. The two part epoxy "clay" that salties use to fix corals to their rocks is just about instant also. Normal liquid or paste epoxy would probably take 24 hours to cure. Hot glue would be ready in a minute or two. Silicon would be ready in a couple to a few hours.

For speed and the ability to remove in the future I would go with hot glue.

+1, Hot glue worked instantly with my canister filter intake and has been holding strong for months now, quick and easy.

Ok wouldn't I need a glue gun for the hot glue? As for superglue will any brand be ok I know I hve some of that at home

Wow! I thought everybody owned a hot glue gun. Aren't they issued with your birth certificate? ;)

Any super glue will do but the gel stuff is best because it doesn't run or drip. Just don't glob it on or it actually takes forever to dry. You only need the tiniest little bit.

No I didnt get trusted with mechanical items as a child lol! I've done a temporary fix with some medical fabric type tape to see if the attachment works

Back
Top Bottom