Filter Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmayhew01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Aqua Clear 300 Power Filter on my 20 gallon planted tank. I was kind of thinking about upgrading to something else and wondered what anyone's suggestion would be. I was sort of siding with a Bio-Wheel type filter or a small canister.... Any ideas?

Not sure if it's what you're looking for but I use the Fluval 3+ Underwater filter on my 126L tank and it's been perfect, not a single issue with it yet. If I was to get another tank I'd get another one, I think very highly of them.

AC300 is actually a lot of filtration for a 20g (don't know if its a high or long, but either way) tank. in a planted tank, with larger hob's there's a risk of splashing causing a lot of co2 to outgas. but if its a low light tank, it doesn't hurt that much.
but overall, i'd say your filtration is pretty good. i see no point in changing it.

You do have a good filter. I use both Aquaclears and Emperors on all my tanks, and I would say that switching to a Biowheel filter like an Emperor would not really be an upgrade. A canister, however, would. Lots of folks here like Fluvals, Rena Filstars, and of course Eheims.

I have to concur...the bio-wheels are not good for planted tank for the same reason Tetrin mentions about the splashing of the AC300. As Severum states, another HOB is not really an upgrade but a canister is.

Since you have a really good filter, no reason to change it.

if you keep your water level up above the output of your aquaclear a canister will not make much of a difference in a planted tank.. I say keep your filter. :D

Back
Top Bottom