Filtering out phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been fighting a losing battle for the past couple weeks. I can't seem to shake this green water. I will have it cured(or so I think) then the second I open the tank to light it comes right back. Here is what I have been doing thus far. 5% water changes everyday, 25% every two weeks,and absolutly no light in the tank for a week. Feeding every two days. This usually clears up the water, then I'll service my can. filter. After this regimen of tricks I open up the tank and BAM green again in two days. Here's the basic set up of the 46gal bow front. I have 5 plants 2 Baby Tears 1 Anachris 1 Micro-sword 1 Amazon sword. All my fish are in my sig, as well as my equipment. I have the light on a timer it turns on @ 12pm and off @ 10pm. I have been fertilizing with Seachem flourish 2ml once a week. I have a hagen CO2 unit and my water parameters are KH=4 GH=3 pH=7.0 ammonia 0ppm Nitrites 0ppm. Given all of this the only thing I can think of thats causing these blooms is phosphates. Maybe I am wrong though, I thought that it would be worth trying though. If anyone has a filtering media that removes phosphates I would love to hear it.

I've been having the same problem, but with Black Beard Algae. So, I went to the LFS for a Phosphate test kit, and yep, my readings were *off* the scale (top reading was a 5.0). I immediately performed a 50 percent water change, gave the tank about 2 hours, and re-tested; still, my readings were off the scale and my Nitrates were untraceable - a perfect scenario for algae.

I purchased SeaChem's PhosGuard and placed it as instructed into my Emperor 280 on Christmas Eve. I then cleaned all algae off the glass, and literally cut and pulled it off of my plants. Also, I reduced my lighting from 10 hours a day to about 4 hours (an hour in the morning, 2 at midday, 1 in th evening - on a multiset timer).

Five days later, I re-tested and now my readings are somewhere between 2.5-5.0; still too high, but at least on the scale. There is no new algae appearing on either the glass or on the plants. I'll be performing my weekly 20% water change this evening, and I'll re-test in 4 more days, and let you know how the PhosGuard is working.

Once the phosphates are under control, I will be adding Flourish Nitrogen to my tank to give it the added non-toxic nitrates and ammonium that my plants need to use up the remaining "extra" phosphates.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

About a week ago, I had a bad case of green water. I came right after adding a full (recommended) dose of Seachem Flourish (the first full dose since setting up the tank...was a little overkill).

To fix the problem, I did a 50% water change, disconnected half of my lights (went from 384 to 192 watts on a 120 gal tank), continued to run the remaining lights for 11 hours a day, and stopped adding any ferts...The problem cleared itself up in about 4 days.

I'm guessing that I just got lucky... :oops:

I'm running without CO2 for now, so I've continued to run only half of my lights...I hope to get a CO2 system up-and-running within the next month.

James,

Don't guess. Test both your phosphates and nitrates. Algae is normally caused by a nutrient imbalance. As you have discovered unless you treat the problem you can't get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom