Filtering questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 questions on filtering......

1. I have a 60g which is 24" tall. How far down should the extension tube go? Does it matter?

The instructions say to use the extra tube if your tank requires it due to depth but no instructions to say how deep into the tank it should be!

2. I've read on this forum that for filters that just have 1 piece for the media (like the Aqueon that I have on my 10g) that instead of replacing every 4 weeks you can just rinse it out until it starts falling apart, then buy new. Is that the same with the 3 components in the Aquaclear also? It comes with a sponge, biomax and carbon. Can I just rinse them all until they show wear or the water stops being so clear?

Please help!

Thanks.

Sally

I have 2 questions on filtering...... 1. I have a 60g which is 24" tall. How far down should the extension tube go? Does it matter? The instructions say to use the extra tube if your tank requires it due to depth but no instructions to say how deep into the tank it should be! 2. I've read on this forum that for filters that just have 1 piece for the media (like the Aqueon that I have on my 10g) that instead of replacing every 4 weeks you can just rinse it out until it starts falling apart, then buy new. Is that the same with the 3 components in the Aquaclear also? It comes with a sponge, biomax and carbon. Can I just rinse them all until they show wear or the water stops being so clear? Please help! Thanks. Sally
I have my tubes about 2-3 inches off substrate,(catches more floaters down there ;) I don't own an ac but I think you just rinse the sponge in tank water as needed, replace carbon every 2 weeks but most people speak of purigen, not sure about bio max, someone with an ac will jump in though. You can skim through a hob filter thread and you'll def find some info there!

I have my tubes about 2-3 inches off substrate,(catches more floaters down there ;) I don't own an ac but I think you just rinse the sponge in tank water as needed, replace carbon every 2 weeks but most people speak of purigen, not sure about bio max, someone with an ac will jump in though. You can skim through a hob filter thread and you'll def find some info there!

Thanks! Then I will add the extension tube.

I did try searching for the answer to the second question but couldn't find it....

There are plenty of aqua clear fans out there that will have all the answers for you!

I never change my filter media... I just rinse them under treated tap water to remove the scrap of it...

Back
Top Bottom