Filters filters filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
29g tank which Aquaclear filter would be best? The 50 or 70? I know I read the more the better but which would be best? Tank is planted and short on fish atm

29g tank which Aquaclear filter would be best? The 50 or 70? I know I read the more the better but which would be best? Tank is planted and short on fish atm

Nothing wrong with having 2 filters running, say an AC50 & a 30. When you need to setup a QT in a hurry, you can instant cycle with the AC30. Those 2 together are the same price as one 70 at my Petco.

Nothing wrong with having 2 filters running, say an AC50 & a 30. When you need to setup a QT in a hurry, you can instant cycle with the AC30. Those 2 together are the same price as one 70 at my Petco.

thats a good idea too seeing how I want to set up a QT tank and would like to use a better filter than the junk I have now.

thats a good idea too seeing how I want to set up a QT tank and would like to use a better filter than the junk I have now.

Yep, I don't keep an actual QT setup, other wise it ends up being used and that defeats its purpose :p. I just have the elements available (tank, heater,etc), can have it operational in 10 minutes or so and it's fully cycled.

Yep, I don't keep an actual QT setup, other wise it ends up being used and that defeats its purpose :p. I just have the elements available (tank, heater,etc), can have it operational in 10 minutes or so and it's fully cycled.

I'm sold on your procedures. 50 & 30 on my wishlist.. one question though, when you set up your QT is there anything in it or just the heater and filter? I wasn't sure if I should aquascape it to make it look like home lol.

I'm sold on your procedures. 50 & 30 on my wishlist.. one question though, when you set up your QT is there anything in it or just the heater and filter? I wasn't sure if I should aquascape it to make it look like home lol.

I keep it bare unless it's a fish that needs a hiding spot or sand to dig into, etc. Lets face it, the decco is more for us than the fish ;). I mean do my Moors need a bubbler volcano to thrive? Not really, but I still want one lol.

Mr. Limpet said:

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I have two filters in each of my tanks. It also helps to have a backup.

One question I have is, let's say I have to set up my hospital tank and pull the smaller filter out of a tank. What's the risk of a mini-cycle in that tank without that filter?

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I have two filters in each of my tanks. It also helps to have a backup.

One question I have is, let's say I have to set up my hospital tank and pull the smaller filter out of a tank. What's the risk of a mini-cycle in that tank without that filter?

Hasn't happened to me and I've done it 3-4 times. Even if you do, it'll clear in a couple days of PWC and the existing filters bacteria will adjust to the extra load.

Mr. Limpet said:
Hasn't happened to me and I've done it 3-4 times. Even if you do, it'll clear in a couple days of PWC and the existing filters bacteria will adjust to the extra load.

I figured as much. Good to know, thanks. (y)

Back
Top Bottom