Filters!! So many.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would like to find a new filter for my 75 gallon tank and i want to kno what is a good kind/brand?? Rite now I have 2 hang on the back marineland emperor 350's and their toooo loud!!!! I have this in my room and I need to sleep with the filter so the quiter the better! I was thinking of a canister filter but I'd like advise from experienced ppl!!!!

I have a $$$ range it's up to $125

Canister filters can be found in that price range (especially if bought second hand) and are usually dead silent.

You can buy a marineland 350 pro canister with bio wheels and all media needed I paid 119.99 on pet solutions about a month ago and I love it I sleep right next to it quiet really quiet and keeps my tank crystal clear and chemical free

Your HOB is likely loud due to the splashing. Raise the water level for decreased noise.

Terrance said:
Your HOB is likely loud due to the splashing. Raise the water level for decreased noise.

All of my HOB filters mostly whisper 60s are loud. And not due to splashing its a humming grinding whir and 2 of those are brand new.

Lonestarbandit said:
All of my HOB filters mostly whisper 60s are loud. And not due to splashing its a humming grinding whir and 2 of those are brand new.

I never owned a whisper but my aquaclear and marineland filters were very quiet with the water level raised all the way to the top. You might want to give those 2 brands a whirl :) i heard the fluval HOBs are just as good.

im sure ill get slammed for it but i cant go past aquaone canisters i have one on my55 and never have had any issues plus the baskets are a good size but they are very cheap

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to find a new filter for my 75 gallon tank and i want to kno what is a good kind/brand?? Rite now I have 2 hang on the back marineland emperor 350's and their toooo loud!!!! I have this in my room and I need to sleep with the filter so the quiter the better! I was thinking of a canister filter but I'd like advise from experienced ppl!!!!

I have a $$$ range it's up to $125

Could not rate a Eheim 2217 any higher.

aqua_chem said:
They used to be called 'sunsun' filters. Searching for either that or their current name should find some reviews, either on this site or somewhere else.

They (aquatop) even have uv HOB filters! Quite the innovators!

Not sure of this is true but I was told that u r supposed to buy enough filtration for about twice as much tank as u have...for example u have a 40gal tank...buy 70-90 gallons of filtration!!! Is this true or should I be fine with a canister up to 75 gallons??

The more filtration the better. I run 3x more than my tank size. Also, wanted to add that I've got a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 that I LOVE. The only thing is the company is the worst. Called them three weeks ago for one stinkin' seal. Haven't heard from them at all! But on a budget, its fantastic.

Not sure of this is true but I was told that u r supposed to buy enough filtration for about twice as much tank as u have...for example u have a 40gal tank...buy 70-90 gallons of filtration!!! Is this true or should I be fine with a canister up to 75 gallons??

Its just A general rule to have your filters cycle the aqaurium 10 times and hour. Whats the 75gallon filter rated for?(gph) I pretty sure it should be enough filtration but what fish do you have in there?

You have to consider that the flow will be reduced with the media. There has being people that have tested filters and it will vary from what it is advertised. So it is best to have something a little bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom