Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a snail tank, I once left green beans and broccoli in the tank for three or four days before, no cloudy water.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i have the same filter and im in the same boat as you. ive had the insert in the filter for about two months and it appears clogged. as much as i try to shake it in tank water to remove debris, it still seems clogged. and ya with the Aqueon it really looks like there is nothing in there to hold BB except that little grate that they claim does it. i know i have to replace the insert, its not doing anything, but im worried im gonna crash the tank.

anyone have any advice?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just got home from school and the water is still cloudy :/ if it's like that tomorrow I guess I'll be changing some water.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I'm still not having much luck. I purchased an aqua clear filter this morning and got that up and running. I did three 60% water changes throughout the day and my water still looks like this ....

This is what it looked like 3 days ago...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino1130
So I'm still not having much luck. I purchased an aqua clear filter this morning and got that up and running. I did three 60% water changes throughout the day and my water still looks like this ....

This is what it looked like 3 days ago...
Very pretty tank even with the cloudiness. Which is not so bad IMO. My tank had a similar amount of cloudiness for a bit. Regular maintenance and patience saw it clear up decently fast. As long as your fish are not in distress, just keep up a modest water change schedule, feed sparingly and you'll be pristine soon enough

I know it does suck though having to stare at the haze after you've put in all the work.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

my filter seemed to go from new to brown overnight as well. Just like my plants. I assumed it was all due to diatoms and new tank algae/bacterias so i didnt think much of it. I've noticed my water looks hazy when it gets a little low from too much turbulance. When I change the water its also hazy at first but within a day or 2 its beautiful again. I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you are trying to overcorrect an issue that will work itself out with a little patience and basic care..?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLean View Post
my filter seemed to go from new to brown overnight as well. Just like my plants. I assumed it was all due to diatoms and new tank algae/bacterias so i didnt think much of it. I've noticed my water looks hazy when it gets a little low from too much turbulance. When I change the water its also hazy at first but within a day or 2 its beautiful again. I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you are trying to overcorrect an issue that will work itself out with a little patience and basic care..?
Well right now my filter is churning water at full speed, you think I should back it off a bit?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bacteria and algae blooms dont necessarily mean you've got an unhealthy environment for your fish, it just doesnt look as pretty. If the fish look healthy and water parameters are fine I would definately wait a day or two and see if it gets better.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino1130
I have had fish in my new tank for exactly a week now. I did a proper fishless cycle, and up until today I have had no issues. As of last night my water was perfectly clear. When i got home this evening, I noticed the water was slightly cloudy. I added zucchini pieces last night for the first time. I thought that may have had something to do with it, but I doubt it. I decided to check the filter pad despite it being snow white a week ago. It was absolutely filthy. I shook it violently in a bucket of tank water. The water turned a brown color, but hardly anything came out of the pad. I'm concerned about switching out pads and losing bacteria, but I'm pretty certain this pad is a lost cause. I've never seen a pad this dirty, especially after a week. I have an Aqueon filter, it has trays in the filter that they claim are there for housing bacteria colonies. I don't want to leave an ineffective filter in there, but at the same time I don't want to go into one of these mini cycles I keep reading about.

Here's a pic of the filter:
It's because u have a new tank. The filterpad is trying to absorb all the nasties and other stuff that needs to be filtered out. You should realy change it once a month but it's not common to change it once a week wen starting out. The cloudiness is from a micro bacteria bloom, I forgot wat kind exactly. So ur tank is fine just get a new cartrage
Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68005
guys, that is GOOD bacteria, lol, if you remove it your tank is going to crash. it is suppose to look like that, in fact if it dosent look like that something is wrong.
Ya they eat dead plant matter

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com