Filthy filter pad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This won't help any, but I think the plants look better, more vivid(they're growing fast, huh?) in the hazy water. I've had spells of cloudy water now and again--not sure why but the fish were healthy and it always subsceeded after a bit.

eco23 said:
Please explain.

I'm gona create a thread about it later. A balanced tank is like an indoor heated pond. The relation between the fish and other organisms in the tank create a delicate natural balance.

There are a couple of elements:

Fish

Plants

Snails

Extras:

Crayfish

African drawf frogs

So the tank is balanced in the natural cycles of life. You can feed the fish bit they can also eat the decaying plant matter. The plant provides oxygen. Organizms co2 . Snails eat algae. Amonia cycle happens. The crayfish eats ddead fish or any it can catch. Ect ect

GhillieSniper115 said:
I'm gona create a thread about it later. A balanced tank is like an indoor heated pond. The relation between the fish and other organisms in the tank create a delicate natural balance.

There are a couple of elements:

Fish

Plants

Snails

Extras:

Crayfish

African drawf frogs

So the tank is balanced in the natural cycles of life. You can feed the fish bit they can also eat the decaying plant matter. The plant provides oxygen. Organizms co2 . Snails eat algae. Amonia cycle happens. The crayfish eats ddead fish or any it can catch. Ect ect

I typed out a long post...but instead I'll just save my opinions and information and share them on the thread you plan on starting. For starters, google TDS. To others reading this thread...don't try this at home. An aquarium is an enclosed eco-system...the same fundamentals in nature do not necessarily apply.

eco23 said:
I typed out a long post...but instead I'll just save my opinions and information and share them on the thread you plan on starting. For starters, google TDS. To others reading this thread...don't try this at home. An aquarium is an enclosed eco-system...the same fundamentals in nature do not necessarily apply.

Wat? I've done this before and it worked. I didn't go into much explanation. For example: you can't use just any fish. Common guppies, fancy guppies, platies, and swordtails all work. Others might not work. A filter doesn't need to be apart of an aquarium. Think about that.

Just throw out the cartridges and polishing pads and buy plastic bio sponges. You won't have to worry about losing bacteria.

You need a filter. Without a good amount of flow, you won't grow enough aerobic bacteria for the nitrification process. That is why most of your bacteria are in the filter media and not on your gravel.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
You need a filter. Without a good amount of flow, you won't grow enough aerobic bacteria for the nitrification process. That is why most of your bacteria are in the filter media and not on your gravel.

Then explain how a natural pond works

GhillieSniper115 said:

Why don't you start your thread about it so it's in a more relevant location.

I've heard of what you're talking about, I think there's a particular lady who's famous for designing a certain system...but if you go around telling people that all they need to do is fill a tank with water, (also no dechlorinator apparently), no filter...just plants, fish snails, etc...you're going to personally be responsible for many, many dead fish if people listen to and follow your guidance.

eco23 said:
Why don't you start your thread about it so it's in a more relevant location.

I've heard of what you're talking about, I think there's a particular lady who's famous for designing a certain system...but if you go around telling people that all they need to do is fill a tank with water, (also no dechlorinator apparently), no filter...just plants, fish snails, etc...you're going to personally be responsible for many, many dead fish if people listen to and follow your guidance.

(facepalm) I know I know. I'll start the thread this week. Keep in mind not all fish will work

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever seen a natural pond that is as densely packed with fish and other inhabitants as a home aquarium? A natural pond's size and environment dictates how much life it can support. Limited amount of food means a limited amount of life, some fish starve to death and some fish get eaten, you'll never see an overcrowded natural pond.

Keeping that in mind, do you think a natural pond would need as much nitrosomona and nitrobacter bacteria to break down the nutrients in the water as a home aquarium? In a natural pond, the bacteria on the surfaces of rocks, sand and such, together with the vegetation growing inside and around itself are enough to break down the low concentration of NH3, NO2 and NO3.

Even small ponds have a biodiversity that evolved over a very long time, something that is unmatchable in the average aquarium or man made pond. Microscopic living things that can only survive in a specific environment that serve their small but important purpose to sustain the overall health of an ecosystem.

I think it's incredibly irresponsible of you to go around internet forums with your half-assed knowledge that you attained from reading a few internet sites, telling people they don't need a filter because you can create an ecosystem that knows how to sustain itself. If people are asking it's alright to change their filter cartridges, do you think they would know enough about the hobby to create their own self sustainable aquarium? It's common sense, come on. Even if you somehow know what you're talking about, which I highly doubt, you're sharing incoherent bits and pieces of information (that can be incredibly misleading) that are irrelevant to this thread.

Again, common sense. Use it.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever seen a natural pond that is as densely packed with fish and other inhabitants as a home aquarium? A natural pond's size and environment dictates how much life it can support. Limited amount of food means a limited amount of life, some fish starve to death and some fish get eaten, you'll never see an overcrowded natural pond.

Keeping that in mind, do you think a natural pond would need as much nitrosomona and nitrobacter bacteria to break down the nutrients in the water as a home aquarium? In a natural pond, the bacteria on the surfaces of rocks, sand and such, together with the vegetation growing inside and around itself are enough to break down the low concentration of NH3, NO2 and NO3.

Even small ponds have a biodiversity that evolved over a very long time, something that is unmatchable in the average aquarium or man made pond. Microscopic living things that can only survive in a specific environment that serve their small but important purpose to sustain the overall health of an ecosystem.

I think it's incredibly irresponsible of you to go around internet forums with your half-assed knowledge that you attained from reading a few internet sites, telling people they don't need a filter because you can create an ecosystem that knows how to sustain itself. If people are asking it's alright to change their filter cartridges, do you think they would know enough about the hobby to create their own self sustainable aquarium? It's common sense, come on. Even if you somehow know what you're talking about, which I highly doubt, you're sharing incoherent bits and pieces of information (that can be incredibly misleading) that are irrelevant to this thread.

Again, common sense. Use it.

Ok 3 things:

1. You dont add fifty fish I'll explain it in my thread

2. I've done it before and know a biologist that showed me how to do it.

3. Don't harass me because u think I'm ignorant and don't know wat I'm talking about. I've been in this hobby long enough to know right from wrong. I was just saying that u don't need a filter to tell an interesting fact. Also I could report u for harassment and for cussing because that goes against this sights rules.

Keep these three things in mind

I think you should just make your thread. Complaining when someone calls BS on your theory that's contrary to the well supported status quo without providing any evidence contrary, especially when you give it to someone asking for help, is plain silly. Lay your claim and we can go from their.

The juvenile retorts are also a quick way to not be taken seriously.

I agree this should be addressed on the specific thread you plan on starting. It should be an interesting discussion.

One thing to keep in mind though Ghillie...as an experienced fishkeeper (which you say you are), it should be your responsibility to provide accurate and responsible information to others. Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it should...and especially shouldn't be advised to others.

For example, on the other thread you were involved in, you told a member to stop using dechlorinator / water conditioner. I understand you say your fish are "fine", and maybe somehow it works for you...but you have to agree that is one of the most irresponsible things you could tell people to do.

Remember that every post and thread here is seen by people who are not involved with the discussion and tons who aren't even AA members but causal Internet browsers. If someone were to google "aquarium + filter", it's possible your information will pop up. People often take information and accept it as fact without viewing counterpoints or the facts behind it. As I said previously, if you start throwing the information out broadly that "you don't need a filter for a stable aquarium" (and accusing us that WE don't know what we're talking about), if people listen, as I said...you will personally be responsible for many, many dead fish who end up sitting in a tank of stagnant water.

Please keep that in mind in future posts and your upcoming thread...and as Aqua-chem said...please provide any actual evidence you have, instead of just saying "I've done it", or "so and so who is an expert told me how to do it".

I'll be looking for the thread ;)

*Proper grammar and spelling may help as well for people to feel they can have a logical discussion with you.

Last edited:
aqua_chem said:
I think you should just make your thread. Complaining when someone calls BS on your theory that's contrary to the well supported status quo without providing any evidence contrary, especially when you give it to someone asking for help, is plain silly. Lay your claim and we can go from their.

The juvenile retorts are also a quick way to not be taken seriously.

I'm gunna make the thread I already said. Im gunna do it this week

GhillieSniper115 said:
Ok 3 things:

1. You dont add fifty fish I'll explain it in my thread

2. I've done it before and know a biologist that showed me how to do it.

3. Don't harass me because u think I'm ignorant and don't know wat I'm talking about. I've been in this hobby long enough to know right from wrong. I was just saying that u don't need a filter to tell an interesting fact. Also I could report u for harassment and for cussing because that goes against this sights rules.

Keep these three things in mind

I am genuinely interested in how you plan to do this. Is it something along the lines of a Walstad natural planted tank? I know her tanks didn't have filters but I think she recommends a powerhead for water circulation now. If it's done in a huge planted tank with a very low bioload, personally, I could see it working.

You can pm me if you like so this thread isn't hijacked anymore.

eco23 said:
I agree this should be addressed on the specific thread you plan on starting. It should be an interesting discussion.

One thing to keep in mind though Ghillie...as an experienced fishkeeper (which you say you are), it should be your responsibility to provide accurate and responsible information to others. Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it should...and especially shouldn't be advised to others.

For example, on the other thread you were involved in, you told a member to stop using dechlorinator / water conditioner. I understand you say your fish are "fine", and maybe somehow it works for you...but you have to agree that is one of the most irresponsible things you could tell people to do.

Remember that every post and thread here is seen by people who are not involved with the discussion and tons who aren't even AA members but causal Internet browsers. If someone were to google "aquarium + filter", it's possible your information will pop up. People often take information and accept it as fact without viewing counterpoints or the facts behind it. As I said previously, if you start throwing the information out broadly that "you don't need a filter for a stable aquarium" (and accusing us that WE don't know what we're talking about), if people listen, as I said...you will personally be responsible for many, many dead fish who end up sitting in a tank of stagnant water.

Please keep that in mind in future posts and your upcoming thread...and as Aqua-chem said...please provide any actual evidence you have, instead of just saying "I've done it", or "so and so who is an expert told me how to do it".

I'll be looking for the thread ;)

*Proper grammar and spelling may help as well for people to feel they can have a logical discussion with you.

I apologize for my ignorance on such. Maybe i could have worded it differently such as for example: I haven't used dechlorinator and my fish tun out fine. Maybe you got a bad sample of dechlorinator. If u noticed some of my posts their though, I did say maybe it was expired. But I ignolage your point and will get to making that thread this week. Only problem is I'm afraid of being attack by people against what I'm saying. So I might not. Mybe I'll do it just to explain it to you. Apology excepted?

GhillieSniper115 said:
I apologize for my ignorance on such. Maybe i could have worded it differently such as for example: I haven't used dechlorinator and my fish tun out fine. Maybe you got a bad sample of dechlorinator. If u noticed some of my posts their though, I did say maybe it was expired. But I ignolage your point and will get to making that thread this week. Only problem is I'm afraid of being attack by people against what I'm saying. So I might not. Mybe I'll do it just to explain it to you. Apology excepted?

There's no apology needed...I just wanted to emphasize the fact that it's important for all of us to state things clearly and responsibly. You'd be surprised what statements newbies pick up out of context and run with.

As long as you approach the thread with information to support your points, you don't take it as a personal attacks if (when) people disagree with you, and are open to other people's opinions on the subject...I think it would be a very interesting conversation. The system mumma-of-two mentioned is what I'd heard of before and where I thought you were going with it. I'd be an interesting discussion as far as I'm concerned...as long as the topic is discussed respectfully, responsibly...and with lots of disclaimers.

eco23 said:
There's no apology needed...I just wanted to emphasize the fact that it's important for all of us to state things clearly and responsibly. You'd be surprised what statements newbies pick up out of context and run with.

As long as you approach the thread with information to support your points, you don't take it as a personal attacks if (when) people disagree with you, and are open to other people's opinions on the subject...I think it would be a very interesting conversation. The system mumma-of-two mentioned is what I'd heard of before and where I thought you were going with it. I'd be an interesting discussion as far as I'm concerned...as long as the topic is discussed respectfully, responsibly...and with lots of disclaimers.

Ok. Idk if that's the same one, but I certainty haven't herd of water circulation, but it might help prevent sluge on the top of the water

Back
Top Bottom