Filthy filter pad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chino1130

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had fish in my new tank for exactly a week now. I did a proper fishless cycle, and up until today I have had no issues. As of last night my water was perfectly clear. When i got home this evening, I noticed the water was slightly cloudy. I added zucchini pieces last night for the first time. I thought that may have had something to do with it, but I doubt it. I decided to check the filter pad despite it being snow white a week ago. It was absolutely filthy. I shook it violently in a bucket of tank water. The water turned a brown color, but hardly anything came out of the pad. I'm concerned about switching out pads and losing bacteria, but I'm pretty certain this pad is a lost cause. I've never seen a pad this dirty, especially after a week. I have an Aqueon filter, it has trays in the filter that they claim are there for housing bacteria colonies. I don't want to leave an ineffective filter in there, but at the same time I don't want to go into one of these mini cycles I keep reading about.

Here's a pic of the filter:

20111019204302437.jpg

Which kind of Aqueon filter is it?

I have a 10g HoB one, and I got fed up with the insterts. I took them out, filled it with Fluval brand bio-max and if I need to, slip a chunk of polu-fil behind the aerator and call it good. Stuff gets dirty super fast - all those tiny bits of plant and uneaten food that you don't necessarily see floating add up when they collect in one place.

I wouldn't switch out a filter this soon after being cycled. If you have to, jam a new piece of media right up against it, and leave them together for at least a couple weeks to seed the new media.

You can also get away from the filter cartridges and save some $. They sell rolled up pieces of blue mechanical filter media at Petsmart for like $6. You just take a pair of scissors to the sheet and cut it to size. It's what I used in my HOB's before I switched to canister filters, and they lasted forever. They're also slimmer so you could jam it in next to the old filter easier.

*Love the tank :). How long has the driftwood been in there? Did you soak it before adding it to the tank? It could just be the tannins you're seeing.

I wouldn't switch out a filter this soon after being cycled. If you have to, jam a new piece of media right up against it, and leave them together for at least a couple weeks to seed the new media.

You can also get away from the filter cartridges and save some $. They sell rolled up pieces of blue mechanical filter media at Petsmart for like $6. You just take a pair of scissors to the sheet and cut it to size. It's what I used in my HOB's before I switched to canister filters, and they lasted forever. They're also slimmer so you could jam it in next to the old filter easier.

*Love the tank :). How long has the driftwood been in there? Did you soak it before adding it to the tank? It could just be the tannins you're seeing.

I'll definitely pick up some of that blue stuff on Friday. The driftwood has been in there for 20 days now. It was soaking for an unknown amount of time at my LFS. The tannins came within 24 hours of putting the wood in there. I was back to crystal clarity within 3 water changes. I liked the tannins tint. What I see now is just ugly cloudiness.

Edit*

Im starting to think the added zucchini caused the cloud. I found cases of it online and based off what i read, the 24 hours it has been in the tank is too long. I reached in to pull out the pieces. They more ore less turned to mush upon picking them up. I observed the water get cloudier just by disrupting the zucchini.

The pictures aren't showing up for me. But are you talking about those white polishing pads? I stopped using them long ago, because they get filthy very easily and when they do, they clog up the filter reducing the flow rate. The worse thing is, when you take them out, since there's so much bacteria on it, I think it causes a brief mini-cycle (cloudy water, indicating a bacteria bloom). If you absolutely need to use a polishing pad, just use a thin layer so when you replace it, you don't take too many bacteria away. The downside is that you have to do that pretty often.

Well, that's my own experience anyway.

guys, that is GOOD bacteria, lol, if you remove it your tank is going to crash. it is suppose to look like that, in fact if it dosent look like that something is wrong.

Unless the flow rate of the filter if affected I would not worry about your filter cartridge being brown in color and just leave in there so you don't lose any bacteria. It does sound like you are having a mini cycle possibly caused by adding to many fish to fast, that's what normally causes cloudy water at least in my experience. Some water changes and time will clear it up.

Would you mind posting your water parameters?

I'd recommend getting an aqua clear hang on back filter if you can afford it, much easier to clean and no annoying cartridges.

If the zuchini was blanched prior to use, it is probably the cause of the cloudy water. That has been my experience, and the same with pumpkin. I no longer blanch it or other veggies.

I ended up putting in a new filter pad last night. I did however take off pieces of the old one and wedged them behind the new one. This morning the water was still slightly cloudy. But this time it wasn't a light brown cloudy like last night, it was kind of like a light fog in the morning cloudy (if that makes sense(

Unless the flow rate of the filter if affected I would not worry about your filter cartridge being brown in color and just leave in there so you don't lose any bacteria. It does sound like you are having a mini cycle possibly caused by adding to many fish to fast, that's what normally causes cloudy water at least in my experience. Some water changes and time will clear it up.

Would you mind posting your water parameters?

I'd recommend getting an aqua clear hang on back filter if you can afford it, much easier to clean and no annoying cartridges.

My parameters were fine when I left the house this morning.
Ammo: 0
Trites: 0
Trates: <5 (they have barely budged since I added the fish 8 days ago)

Unless it just started and the water hasn't been really affected yet, I don't think I'm having a mini cycle.

guys, that is GOOD bacteria, lol, if you remove it your tank is going to crash. it is suppose to look like that, in fact if it dosent look like that something is wrong.

I've had filter pads in other tanks for a month or longer and never had them look anywhere like this.

If the zuchini was blanched prior to use, it is probably the cause of the cloudy water. That has been my experience, and the same with pumpkin. I no longer blanch it or other veggies.

I put it in raw. But it sat in there for a while. How long are you suppose to leave it in there before you pull it? Some people online have said they only leave it in for a few hour at the most.

I think the cloudy water was caused by the vegetable.

In my limited experience, vegetables cause white-ish cloudy water that looks like a small amount of milk has been added. I've put in thawed frozen peas and corn and got white cloudy water in about 8 hours (in 80 F water). Even spinach leaves and beet leaves begin to cloud the water, but less and it takes longer.

Sources say to remove the vegetables within 24 hours, but that may be too long. It might be safer to limit veggie tank time to about 8-12 hours, for example, drop in the veggie for nite feeders in the evening and remove in the morning, or drop a veggie in the morning for day feeders and remove it in the evening.

I've found I get less milky water if I limit the total volume of vegetable: give only what you think your animals will actually eat in about 8 hours. If they aren't going to eat a whole slice, then cut the slice in half lengthwise. You can always give them more later, or the next day. Limit their portion size and you will limit the amount of vegetable your tank is exposed to, and thus the degree of cloudy water.

Online sources say the white-ish cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. It is probably nourished by the vegetables. I suspect the bacterial bloom is feeding on the carbohydrates in the vegetables because in my experience corn (high carbohydrate) causes a lot of milky, cloudy water; peas (lower carbohydrate) cause less milky, cloudy water; and baby spinach and baby beet leaves (very low carbohydrate) cause very little cloudy water.

If you need more evidence you could always run an experiment by filling a ziplock bag with tank water and an air space, add a slice of zucchini, float in your tank and see if you get white cloudy water. :)

It's just my opinion, but your filter is probably just fine.

I think the cloudy water was caused by the vegetable.

In my limited experience, vegetables cause white-ish cloudy water that looks like a small amount of milk has been added. I've put in thawed frozen peas and corn and got white cloudy water in about 8 hours (in 80 F water). Even spinach leaves and beet leaves begin to cloud the water, but less and it takes longer.

Sources say to remove the vegetables within 24 hours, but that may be too long. It might be safer to limit veggie tank time to about 8-12 hours, for example, drop in the veggie for nite feeders in the evening and remove in the morning, or drop a veggie in the morning for day feeders and remove it in the evening.

I've found I get less milky water if I limit the total volume of vegetable: give only what you think your animals will actually eat in about 8 hours. If they aren't going to eat a whole slice, then cut the slice in half lengthwise. You can always give them more later, or the next day. Limit their portion size and you will limit the amount of vegetable your tank is exposed to, and thus the degree of cloudy water.

Online sources say the white-ish cloudy water is a bacterial bloom. It is probably nourished by the vegetables. I suspect the bacterial bloom is feeding on the carbohydrates in the vegetables because in my experience corn (high carbohydrate) causes a lot of milky, cloudy water; peas (lower carbohydrate) cause less milky, cloudy water; and baby spinach and baby beet leaves (very low carbohydrate) cause very little cloudy water.

If you need more evidence you could always run an experiment by filling a ziplock bag with tank water and an air space, add a slice of zucchini, float in your tank and see if you get white cloudy water. :)

It's just my opinion, but your filter is probably just fine.

Thanks, that's pretty relieving, except for the fact I already cut the old filter up, lol. It would definitely make sense though. Being my first time feeding with veggies, i had no clue how much to use. I put in two pretty good sized chunks of zucchini in the tank. I left one by my pleco's hideout, and one at the opposite end of the tank, perhaps I over did it. Do you think the water will clear on it's own? Or would you recommend a water change? Seeing as my war parameters are perfect, I'd rather not do a change if I don't have to.

Do you think the water will clear on it's own? Or would you recommend a water change? Seeing as my war parameters are perfect, I'd rather not do a change if I don't have to.[/QUOTE

Maybe gravel vac up any vegetable goo or remains you can see. Then wait 2 - 8 hours to see if the milky cloudy water diminishes.

I've solved my milky cloudy water with 100% water changes, but then it's with snails in vases and 2 gallon containers and no filter, so it's not exactly applicable to your situation. :)

Maybe someone who's resolved milky cloudy water in a tank with a filter can suggest a solution.

Matt68005 said:

My biomax in established tanks is barely tinted tan; more likely this is particulate buildup than so much microscopic bacteria that it's causing heavy discoloration.

I wouldn't recommend this to others...but I've intentionally left 2 slices of blanched zucchini in my tanks for several days simply as an experiment to see if it truly does "foul" the water and see if it caused toxin spikes...it did not. I regularly leave algae wafers (NLS h2o stable, so it might be a bit difference) commonly until they are fully consumed over a few days. I do this so I can supplement the different bottom feeders (Cory's, RCS, Amanos, Assassin Snails) all have an opportunity to eat. The numerous species wouldn't have an opportunity to get their fill if I only left them in there for a matter of hours.

The reason I tried this little experiment was because I've always been skeptical when members see there is a major toxin spike...just to explain it as "Oh, I found an uneaten algae wafer...that must be the cause." To me that didn't add up.

There were no toxin spikes and no cloudy water. The only veggie I've seen cause a bit of cloudiness is blanched peas if overfed.

Again, I'm not recommending it to others...but I don't necessarily hold the zucchini responsible in this case. Filter media is supposed to get dirty. The filter pads in my canister filter are brown, even with weekly cleaning. You can rinse them all day long and you won't remove the discoloration...just the debris.

In other words...don't be concerned with what color the filter pads are as long as your water is remaining in good shape.

Cloudy water can be caused by tons of different things. Mini-cycles can cause it, but since the ammonia and no2 is at zero, that's not the cause. If there is a heavy buildup of organics caused by overfeeding or not keeping the substrate clean, you can have a population explosion of heterotrophic bacteria which is basically there to clean up the organics and turn it INTO ammonia.

Another common occurrence is that people see cloudy water, and don't notice it has a greenish tint until much later. Algae blooms in newer tanks are common. One thing to try would be to put tank water into a white cup and see if there is any green color to it.

****, I regret cutting up that filter now. Lots of debris came off but the brown was still darker than ever. Well now I know for next time. I'm still hoping it was the zucchini. When I said I put in 2 big chunks, I mean 2 pieces each roughly the size of a lighter

Chino1130 said:
****, I regret cutting up that filter now. Lots of debris came off but the brown was still darker than ever. Well now I know for next time. I'm still hoping it was the zucchini. When I said I put in 2 big chunks, I mean 2 pieces each roughly the size of a lighter

I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as you kept a good portion of the old filter in with the new. When you just finish cycling there is a delicate balance because the bacteria has finally adjusted in proportion to the ammonia being added. Luckily the fishless cycle tends to develop more bacteria than you actually need once the tank is stocked...so you might have some to spare. I'd just test the water every day and do pwc's if you see any toxin spikes. It should take too long to stabilize (if it even destabilizes). I'm also a huge believer in water changes. You really can't do too many. If it is actully residuals from a veggie...remove cloudy water...replace with fresh, clear water...problem solved :D

Matt68005 said:

It is colored that way from fish crap and food.
And it doesnt necesarily have to be colored to have bacteria on it.

Back
Top Bottom