Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was going to just post about my filtration because it is odd (see below) but I decided to go ahead and just put a general filtration help thread on here for all the people starting out.

Types of Filtration: Their are 3 different kinds of filtration and most filters perform all 3.

Biological: This is simply letting BB build up on a surface to eat ammonia and eventually convert it to nitrates.

Mechanical: Removing large particals from the water is called mechanical filtration. Smaller tanks with low bioloads can sometimes do without this kind of filtration.

Chemical: Chemical filtration removes smells, chemicals, and discoloration from the water usually with activated carbon. While chemical filtration is necessary, in most tanks live plants will provide enough filtration in this area. However live plants will not remove discoloration from the water.

Aeration: While arguably not a type of filtration most filters do help keep the tank water aerated. Some companies, like Aqueon, have gone so far as to build filters with specifics inserts to improve aeration.

Types of Filters: The type of filtration you get is of little consequence really. The main thing about the type of filtration is what your individual tank needs or can handle.

HOB: The hang on the back filter is the most common type of filtration for freshwater aquariums. HOBs can be very effective filters if set up and maintained right. One thing to remember is to always buy the filter at least one size bigger than the box says you need. Most companies overestimate their filters effectiveness.
The best way to maintain and use an HOB is to have both a filter cartridges (filter floss, sponge, etc) and a surface for beneficial bacteria to colonize on (c-nodes, ceramic rings). If you don't have anything for BB then leave the filter cartridge in as long as possible and leave the old one in with the new for a week before throwing out.
Pros: Cost, effective filtration, decent flow rates, flexible (some)
Cons: Size, aesthetics, can be limiting depending on type, noise
Best Brands: Aquaclear, Fluval.

Canister: Canisters filters are the most silent filter available. They are also very good filters. With high flow rates and lots of space for media, they are very efficient filters.
Pros: Quiet, aesthetically pleasing, high flow rate, effective
Cons: Price

Internal Filter: Probably the lowest end filtration available, internal filters are not overly popular. They take up space inside the aquarium and are not very powerful. They are still used at times for tanks with low bioloads.
Pros: Cheap, can be usefull in aquariums with odd shapes or limited space
Cons: Limited filtration, takes up space in tank, aesthetics

Sump/overflow: Probably the least common freshwater filtration method, sumps are commonly underestimated. They are the best filters for BB to grow in and can be very aesthetically pleasing as equipement can be hidden inside it.
Pros: Superb Filtration, aesthetically pleasing, low cost if home made, adds to tanks volume
Cos: Difficulty to setup, can leak if setup wrong

Sponge Filter: Probably the best filtration method for tanks under 5 gallons, the sponge filter is a very easy, cheap filtration method. Just get an air pump or powerhead and a sponge!
Pros: Great for small tanks, can't harm small inhabitants, small
Cons: No mechanical filtration

Undergravel Filter: Outdated and considered by most to be a nightmare, undergravel filtration is just what it sounds like; filtration under the gravel.
Pros: Gravel can build BB, Substrate is aerated
Cons: Ineffective, no live plants

Natural Filtration: Filtration by plants is a great method of filtration but is best only if used as a supplement as plants do not absorb enough ammonia to keep most tanks clean. It is also a contreversial method. Using some terrestial plants can also help. Pothos vines are excellent as filters. They remove alot of chemical waste from the water. Plenty of water flow is still needed in most tanks so that BB can grow.
Pros: Aesthetically pleasing, natural
Cons: Very limited, low effectiveness

As a general rule you want to turn over your tanks water 10 times per hour in a non planted tank and 5 times per hour in a planted tank. Some people do not agree with the above stated rule. Carbon is optional although it can harm live plants. If your fish have a large bioload then it is better to have the highest flow that your tanks inhabitants can be happy with.

On the tanks in my house I have HOBs. On our 57 gallon we have an aqueon 110, on our 20 tall we have a aqueon 30 and a top fin 20, on my 26 gallon bowfront I have a aquaclear 70, and on my 5.5 gallon I have a Marina slim 10 filled with gravel and plants.
In tanks with low bioload inhabitants you can have smaller filtration or do something like listed above with the gravel in the filter or just use natural filtration.
If low flow is desired then wrapping a filter cartridge or a sponge on it will help immensely.

I know I probably messed up somewhere or left something out so tell me what I need to add or change and I will edit it! Thanks for reading and God bless!

GodFan said:
I was going to just post about my filtration because it is odd (see below) but I decided to go ahead and just put a general filtration help thread on here for all the people starting out.

Types of Filtration: The type of filtration you get is of little consequence really. The main thing about the type of filtration is what your individual tank needs or can handle.

HOB: The hang on the back filter is the most common type of filtration for freshwater aquariums. HOBs can be very effective filters if set up and maintained right. One thing to remember is to always buy the filter at least one size bigger than the box says you need. Most companies overestimate thei filters effectivness.
The best way to maintain and use an HOB is to have both a filter cartridgs (filter floss, sponge, etc) and a surface for beneficial bacteria to colonize on (c-nodes, ceramic rings). If you don't have anything for BB then leave the filter cartridge in as long as possible and leave the old one in with the new for a week before throwing out.
Pros: Cost, effective filtration, decent flow rates, flexible (some)
Cons: Size, asthetics, can be limiting depending on type, noise
Best Brands: Aquaclear, Fluval.

Canister: Canisters filters are the most silent filter available. They are also very good filters. With high flow rates and lots of space for media, they are very effecient filters.
Pros: Quiet, asthetically pleasing, high flow rate, effective
Cons: Price

Internal Filter: Probably the lowest end filtration avaliable, internal filters are not overly popular. They take up space inside the aquarium and are not very powerful. They are still used at times for tanks with low bioloads.
Pros: Cheap, can be usefull in aquariums with odd shapes or limited space
Cons: Limited filtration, takes up space in tank, asthetics

Sump/overflow: Probably the least common freshwater filtration method, sumps are commonly underestimated. They are the best filters for BB to grow in and can be very asthetically pleasing as equipement can be hidden inside it.
Pros: Superb Filtration, asthetically pleasing, low cost if home made, adds to tanks volume
Cos: Difficulty to setup, can leak if setup wrong

Natural Filtration: Filtration by plants is a great method of filtration but is best only if used as a supplement as plants do not absorb enough ammonia to keep most tanks clean. It is also a contreversial method. Using some terrestial plants can also help. Pothos vines are excellent as filters. They remove alot of chemical waste from the water.
Pros: Asthetically pleasing, natural
Cons: Very limited, low effectiveness

As a general rule you want to turn over your tanks water 10 times per hour in a non planted tank and 5 times per hour in a planted tank. Carbon is optional although it can harm live plants. If your fish have a large bioload then it is better to have the highest flow that your tanks inhabitants can be happy with.

On the tanks in my house I have HOBs. On our 57 gallon we have an aqueon 110, on our 20 tall we have a aqueon 30 and a top fin 20, on my 26 gallon bowfront I have a aquaclear 70, and on my 5.5 gallon I have a Marina slim 10 filled with gravel and plants.
In tanks with low bioload inhabitants you can have smaller filtrstion or do something like listed above with the gravel in the filter or just use natural filtration.
If low flow is desired then wrapping a filter cartridge or a sponge on it will help immensly.

I know I probably messed up somewhere or left something out so tell me what I need to add or change and I will edit it! Thanks for reading and God bless!

Good write up. I agree with most of it, but I think you left out sponge filters. And a lot of internal filters are good at mechanical filtration. Sponge filters are the worst IMO. I don't agree with the "general rule" for planted and nonplanted tanks. Turning over a tank 10 times per hour doesn't seem like much, regardless of plants being in there. Planted tanks don't need half the flow of nonplanted tanks, but some people prefer less flow so plants don't get uprooted.
In a tank with natural filtration, you need enough water flow and surfaces for BB to grow on. Plants don't absorb nearly enough ammonia to support a bioload, unless it is a dwarf shrimp.

Good write up. I agree with most of it, but I think you left out sponge filters. And a lot of internal filters are good at mechanical filtration. Sponge filters are the worst IMO. I don't agree with the "general rule" for planted and nonplanted tanks. Turning over a tank 10 times per hour doesn't seem like much, regardless of plants being in there. Planted tanks don't need half the flow of nonplanted tanks, but some people prefer less flow so plants don't get uprooted.
In a tank with natural filtration, you need enough water flow and surfaces for BB to grow on. Plants don't absorb nearly enough ammonia to support a bioload, unless it is a dwarf shrimp.
Thanks I edited the post. I left the "general rule" in there because it is what I have always read. I did add in that not everybody agrees with it.

great write up! I have three aqueon filters. a 20 & 30 on my 29 gallon (im seeding the 30) then on my 55 gallon I have the aqueon 55/75. ill be moving the aqueon 20 once I get the new filter seeded. I love these filters.

great write up! I have three aqueon filters. a 20 & 30 on my 29 gallon (im seeding the 30) then on my 55 gallon I have the aqueon 55/75. ill be moving the aqueon 20 once I get the new filter seeded. I love these filters.
I like them except that you cant make your own cartridge and cant remove the carbon.

yeah..that part stinks but they are affordable!
True. Ill be honest I bought a aquaclear and I had 2 broken out of the box before I got the good one. It is loud too! But the filtration is good so...

Have you tried all the different types? It sounds like you just have HOBs.

GodFan said:
Unfortunately all I have is HOBs But I have read on the others.

Yeah. Most of the facts you listed are correct IMO, but it just doesn't seem like you have experience with them. Don't get me wrong, you have done a lot of research and know all the pros and cons. It's just that you have never tried each one for yourself to see what you think about it. A lot of times people only give things like filters bad reviews because they don't know how to cycle a tank or whatever. LOL. Sponge filters are proven to be more than sufficient for BB. The only problem is that they don't keep the water very clean, causing more frequent gravel vacuuming and water changing.

Yeah. Most of the facts you listed are correct IMO, but it just doesn't seem like you have experience with them. Don't get me wrong, you have done a lot of research and know all the pros and cons. It's just that you have never tried each one for yourself to see what you think about it. A lot of times people only give things like filters bad reviews because they don't know how to cycle a tank or whatever. LOL. Sponge filters are proven to be more than sufficient for BB. The only problem is that they don't keep the water very clean, causing more frequent gravel vacuuming and water changing.
Yea I know it does lack that extra bit that experience would add. I tried my best lol. I do have opinions of how I would like each filter based on my knowledge but not experience. In a way that may be better because I didnt put as much of my opinion in the post.

Back
Top Bottom