Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to upgrade my filter (topfin 60) to possibly a aquaclear 110 or a fluval c4 I'm not sure on which one? I don't want to do a canister filter because if something goes wrong ill have water everywhere. I have a 55 gallon tank but want the water to very clean so that's why I'm looking at larger filters.

I'm looking to upgrade my filter (topfin 60) to possibly a aquaclear 110 or a fluval c4 I'm not sure on which one? I don't want to do a canister filter because if something goes wrong ill have water everywhere. I have a 55 gallon tank but want the water to very clean so that's why I'm looking at larger filters.

I love the fluval c series and would chose them over the comparable AC model any day, but you're comparing a much larger AC to the c4, so in the case I would say the AC110 gets my vote. If it were an AC70 vs C4 it'd be a hands down C4 winner in my eyes. I've had both ACs and fluvals and have a ac30 on my ten gallon, but i also switched from the c3 to the ac50 on my 20 gallon and wish I hadn't. I'll be going back to the c series soon I'm sure. Check out the multiple other threads about this discussion, might help your decision.

I run 2 AC 70's on my 55 gallon. They are easy to use and keep
the water very clean. I run mine with the sponge on bottom, then poly floss,
then seachem purigen, then biomax on top.

I never had an issue with my eheim 2217 but if you were choose, I would pick AC110.

I am running an AC110 and eheim 2217 on my 55g and my tank is really clear.

Also if you could give pros and cons of canister vs HOB and other types of canisters as well

I honestly am not an expert of the pros and cons. But I can say with an aquaclear, it is very flexible in regards to what you put in it. I have a large sponge, filter floss and a bag of crushed corals in it.

It is also very flexible with my eheim where I store most of bio stuff. I think canister takes up less room so you could push your tank further back and usually have more gallon/hour flow.

As far as customization goes the c series and ACs are the same, you can run whatever you want in both. The pros of a canister is a larger capacity and more thorough filtering and they're more customizable, and they're quieter. The con, that's singular, is that they generally cost about 2.5x the cost of a HOB. I had my fluval 406 on my 55 and now have it on my 75 and love it

I run an AquaClear 110 on my 60 gallon goldfish tank (along with an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 for additional filtration; total gallons per hour being turned over in my tank is in excess of 800 with these two HOBs :brows:). I say get the 110 and don't look back...

Like many, I too run the sponge on bottom and two small sacks of BioMax on top of it; I am going to get some Seachem Purigen eventually to sit in the layer just below the BioMax...:D

Is there such thing as too much filtration? Because along with the fluval 406 I would like to put those doing filters in just incase the power goes out (I have a battery powered bubbler)

Is there such thing as too much filtration? Because along with the fluval 406 I would like to put those doing filters in just incase the power goes out (I have a battery powered bubbler)

Too much filtration ... No
Too many filters running on the same tank .... Yes.

Oh, right -- we talked about this, didn't we? I had asked if that diner was still on Sunrise Highway, not far from Green Acres and near the LIRR station?

Yeah, there is a diner that fits that description ... Almost across the street from a McDonald's that's on Sunrise HWY. Could never remember the name of that diner.

Yeah, there is a diner that fits that description ... Almost across the street from a McDonald's that's on Sunrise HWY. Could never remember the name of that diner.

Yes, right -- the McDonald's is right across the street, right beneath that overpass where the LIRR train comes in....a couple of blocks down is a Dunkin' Donuts...

And then we talked about ANCONA'S pizza, right? And the Itchkins Ice Cream parlor across the street? TO DIE FOR ice cream there...

J -- let's take this discussion of the South Shore enclave known as Valley Stream to private messaging so to not derail the thread...

Back
Top Bottom