filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am upgrading to a 55 gallon tank for my two baby fancy goldfish this Sunday, I need to get a filter that'll work for a long time to go with the aquarium. I know that goldfish produce a lot of waste, and I want to find one that'll last for many years if possible. tia for your advice :fish2:
Note: my husband wants to pick out a third of his very own, so it'll have three fancy goldfish in it most probably.

Depends on how much you would like to spend...what is a price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It would be great if it costs about a hundred or less, and no more than $20ish a month to maintain. thanks for the question! totally forgot to add that :facepalm: To be honest, I don't know what is reasonable or what to expect to pay so I'm open to suggestions.....

Well for $30 you can get a tetra ex70 Powerfilter. This will do a great job and filters replacements are cheap for it. You would probably have an idea setup for $60 if you used two...

You could also get a canister filter for your 55. I would suggest drsfostersmith.com and just search canister filters as there are a lot of different types but they all do the same thing. I believe marine land makes one that is on sale at the moment.

Ideal setup*

Yes, will be the same as the ex70. Same price for the most part and does the same job. I would definelty recommend getting 2 of either of those for a gold fish tank

MarineLand Biowheel 350 is a good filter and its under 100$ in my area. u can buy the approved replacement filters 6 for 20$ or so. or just by filter floss and make ur own better and cheaper. People will say they are loud but I dont think so. I use one on my bedroom tank.

this is just before my filter change and i do that every 3 weeks, the water is a little dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ukejoe? How many gallons or liters is that tank?

What fish are in that tank, it seems a bit over stocked if you ask me

the ex 70 sounds really easy and I haven't used a canister filter before, I don't even know what the aqua clear series is to be truthful. is it a brand? and i'll have to look, is the MarineLand Biowheel 350 a canister filter? I'm so confuse. who knew goldfish could be so confusing to take care of? hahaha. ah, well, the tank is a 55 gallon long, with a hood, (and I haven't gotten it yet so I don't know how many slots there are for filters, does anyone know ?) if so, which one of these awesome filters would work best? and also, I want the water to stay very clean and healthy, I'm not very concerned about noise, as long as I don't have to turn off the filter to hear the TV... thanks :blink:

it will be two fancy gold fish maybe three, in a 55 gallon tank
:) Is that overstocked? if so, we can just stick with the two.

3 fancy gold fish will be fine in a 55. Make sure they are fancy though...fancies have more than one tail, such as orandas, moors, etc. they are more goofy and can not be kept with comet gold fish, which have one tail. These fish do not need a heater and possible need a chiller depending on how hot the room they are in will get in summer. The ideal temp for them would be 68 degrees. The bio wheel and ex70 will pretty much be the same filter. They are both power filters and will probably be the best choice for you as a new aquarist. I would personally go with the tetra ex70 as stated above. I would also suggest getting 2 of these filters as gold fish produce a lot of waste. Hope this clears things up for you
~Zac

ya it is overstocked, but Ive been in this hobbie for 20 or 21years. I do 20gal a water change once a week on that tank. As u can see all of them are calm and good tempered and full of color. If i was to see one getting stress i will move it to a bigger tank up stairs. this is my small tank

Last edited:
they are definitely fancy gold fish. both have two tails. one is a golden orange and the other a calico color <3 My husband wants to get one that is half orange, half white.. I agree with the fact that the tetra ex70 will probably be the right choice for me, but, that being said, I am not afraid to learn to use a canister filter. I just want whats best for my fish. I've only had them a month but I've already grown fond of them <3 You're probably very correct that I'll need two. I sure hope the hood accounts for that :blink: as I know how important lighting is :cool:

They can look good and still get stunted my friend

With a 55, you'll get two separate 24" hoods, they should have enough room for the filter and if not have your hubby cut a gap big enough in the back for ya. Canister filters aren't really "hard" to use....but the ex70s will be easier for someone new to the hobby. I also want to thank you for doing some research about your fish before just putting 13 small comets in a 10 gallon tank. Have fun with the hobby and I wish you the best
~Zac

They can look good and still get stunted my friend

I know but im not worried. Thanks for caring tho. But Ive been doing this a long long time. Back before u could search the internet for answers, when we had to go to the library and check out books on fish keeping. so more like 20-21 years ago when i was a 9yr old boy. Im even a Wildlife Conservation Officer thanks to that first fish tank.

But anyway if the MarineLand 350 can filter my overstocked tank it will handle gold fish beautifully. And no its a hang-on type, and very easy to maintain. when im working for 2weeks at a time the wife does all the maintenance, and shes just not a fish person. she wears gloves and everything a real girly girl

, I don't even know what the aqua clear series is to be truthful. is it a brand? and i'll have to look:

AquaClear is a brand name for a series of HOB filters from Fluval (formerly Hagen). These filters come in a variety of models in which the numerical series name corresponds with the suggested tank size: 20, 30, 50, 70 and 110. Notably, these filters do not have cartridges. Periodically the media, which consists of a sponge and some bagged ceramic biomedia and bagged carbon, should be rinsed in water removed from a partial water change so as not to disturb the bacteria. The water flows through them from bottom to top rather side to side.

Back
Top Bottom