Filtration help on 75gal. setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fjb6673

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I'm going to be setting up a new 75gal. Tank in the near future and have a 2 part filtration question......Part 1 - Fluval vs. Eheim canaster filters...is one much better than the other, or is it just personal preference? Part 2 - Size and type of filtration.

First, some info...I haven't decided exactly what fish I will be getting, but most likely 3-4 SA/CA cichlids (not oscars), small school of dither fish, and a pleco. No live plants, a couple of fake plants, plenty of rocks, caves, clay pot or 2, some type of driftwood, and an air stone, a pretty basic setup. And standard aquarium gravel, no sand.

As far as my questions, part 1 is pretty straightforward...Fluvel vs. Eheim canaster filters, pros, cons, and opinions.

Part 2 is size and setup. Biggest tank I've had is 38 gal. with HOB filter. I'm leaning toward canister filter for new 75 for both quality of filtration and ease of use. I have 3 setups in mind....1. just get a fluvel 406(up to 100gal) or Eheim Ecco 2236(up to 80gal)......2. Use a Fluvel 306(up to 70gal) or Eheim Ecco 2234(up to 60gal) along with my whisper 30/60 HOB...3. Use my whisper 30/60 HOB with the Fluvel 406 or Eheim 2236, the larger canisters.

I'm leaning toward option 3, because I like the thought of 2 types of filtration, and why not go with the larger canister. This seems like the answer to me, but I don't want to have overkill filtration if not needed.

Any and all comments, questions, and responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I'm running a Fluval 406 on my 75g geo tank. I absolutely love it. It is quiet, easy to do maintenance and is a workhorse.

My only gripe (minor too) is that they used ribbed hosing which makes it impossible to hook up anything inline without swapping the hoses. Not a big deal, only cost a few bucks to swap it all out.

I'd recommend buying more foam inserts (smaller ones) and run those instead of the carbon they give you. Either that or buy a big bag of polyfill and stuff some of that in there. It's cheaper and can be reused a million times before falling apart.

Back
Top Bottom