Filtration on 100 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishchick72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have owned my 100 gallon aquarium for about 13 years now. In all these years I have never been able to get good filtration. (Prior to the 100 gallon tank I had a 20 gallon tank & was always able to achieve good filtration & circulation)

I used to have an Eheim canister filter that came highly recommended, but it never did a thorough job. I even added on a power head to have more water circulating, but I had the problem of small fish being sucked up into the power head!

I currently have this filter: Marineland C-360 Canister Filter - Up to 100 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

& it's even worse than the Eheim was. Once again I tried adding on a power head, but it didn't seem to help & eventually quit working.

I am wondering if it would work if I put TWO of these on my tank instead of the cannister?? Marineland Penguin 350 Power Filter (upto 70 gal)

I am tired of not enjoying my tank & would like to find a way to make it work better........thank you in advance for your time.

I've only used Fluval canisters since the 80's and I run 4-fluval 406's on my 220g. I used to run 2 fluval 406's and 1 huge fluval FX5 but the FX5 is just too heavy for me to deal with anymore. In a 100 gallon tank if you use a canister on each end of the tank and aim the outflows towards the front of the tank but slightly turned towards the other end of the tank I've gotten the best circulation. I do even with 4 canisters run two nano power heads to be sure I have no dead spots.

I have a C360 and an Emperor 400 on a 75 gallon and together they are great, I cannot get over how clear my water is compared to when I had an aquarium years ago. I took all the advice I read about over filtering, put up the additional cost and haven't looked back. I would add the Emperor 400 to the C360 and see what kind of improvement you get.

With canister filters I always recommend at least 5X the tank size in GPH, and 8- to 10X if it's a hang-on-back filter. The 360 falls short of that, which is probably why you're unhappy with it. Another good advice is to always select the model that is the next size up based on what it says on the box at the time of purchase, if that's possible.

Yes, many people like to combine a canister filter with a HOB filter. May I suggest the AquaClear line of filters? The AC 70 should add an addition 300 GPH. Sweet!

David

Over filter is good, on my 90gallon i run a Cascade 1000 canister, AC110 hob and emperor 400 hob, also have two sponge filters going inside the tank. somewhere around 1300 gph before the sponges. i do have messy fish, but could take any filter out and start a new tank with it and not mess with my water quality.

Back
Top Bottom