Filtration overkill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathbows2me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is 2 aquaclear 110 to much for a 10 gallon, well is it to much water flow ?
Any suggestions if so on how to break up the strong currents but keep the filtration

lol I'd say that is too much. With just a 10g you'd be fine with maybe a AC30 or so. People usually have 2 AC110's on 50g+

deathbows2me said:
Is 2 aquaclear 110 to much for a 10 gallon, well is it to much water flow ?
Any suggestions if so on how to break up the strong currents but keep the filtration

Keep your water level high and the filter will not create allot of movement. Aquaclears is a quality Filter that houses all three types of filtration. Some may disagree, but I believe in go big or go home. I do not believe you can over filtrate. This is my 2 Rena xP3s in a 60g. According to the box I can filtrate up to 350g. In reality, a 250g is more like it. I think you will be fine!

Mr.Pleco said:
lol I'd say that is too much. With just a 10g you'd be fine with maybe a AC30 or so. People usually have 2 AC110's on 50g+

Ha, IMO you are right in that statement. But I have always found great benefit in over filtering. I think if you have the means, why not? :)

Ha, IMO you are right in that statement. But I have always found great benefit in over filtering. I think if you have the means, why not? :)

haha I completely agree. I love overfiltration but 2 AC110's on a 10g seems like a lot. Granted, if another tank came along you could easily switch it over. The boxes for 110's seem kind of big. I have a AC70 with another filter and can on my 50g.
Just seems like too much overkill. There isn't much you can stock in a 10g that would create that much bioload where you were HAVE to have that much.

I have a sump, fluval 405 (soon to be 2), and fluval u3 on my 150g planted. I thought that was a lot ha

Mr.Pleco said:
haha I completely agree. I love overfiltration but 2 AC110's on a 10g seems like a lot. Granted, if another tank came along you could easily switch it over. The boxes for 110's seem kind of big. I have a AC70 with another filter and can on my 50g.
Just seems like too much overkill. There isn't much you can stock in a 10g that would create that much bioload where you were HAVE to have that much.

I have a sump, fluval 405 (soon to be 2), and fluval u3 on my 150g planted. I thought that was a lot ha

I apologize, I thought he was taking about aquaclear 10s, ha, well then!

Mr.Pleco said:

I know the filtration is overkill but is the water flow, I'm looking Into the future with bigger tanks. The fish are my biggest concern I don't want to make it a blender

Keep your water level high and the filter will not create allot of movement. Aquaclears is a quality Filter that houses all three types of filtration. Some may disagree, but I believe in go big or go home. I do not believe you can over filtrate. This is my 2 Rena xP3s in a 60g. According to the box I can filtrate up to 350g. In reality, a 250g is more like it. I think you will be fine!

+1 on "go big or go Home"

I would say so. Plus you'd be spending $120 on filters which could easily buy you a bigger tank. I would recommend a AC 50 or so for your 10g. I honestly thing a 110 would be too much, let alone 2.

Mr.Pleco said:
I would say so. Plus you'd be spending $120 on filters which could easily buy you a bigger tank. I would recommend a AC 50 or so for your 10g. I honestly thing a 110 would be too much, let alone 2.

They hve controls on them I thought run both backed off at 1/4 power

deathbows2me said:
They hve controls on them I thought run both backed off at 1/4 power I dot wanna buy a small one that will be pointless in a few months ?

Mr.Pleco said:
I'm not sure about the AC110's but my AC70 doesn't have a flow adjuster. I know my TopFin's do.

Ok if they do have controls do u think I could use them untill I do upgrade the tank size?

Mr.Pleco said:
Maybe 1. I wouldn't put 2, not even sure if you could fit 2 on a 10g. Are you planning on getting rid of the 10g once you get another tank? And what fish are you looking to keep?

Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Pet Supplies
Pretty positive none of the models have flow adjusters.

The ten will be a breeding tank and I read on hagen site that it is I'll double check may have miss read it, by the way would I happen to know the physical dimension? I can't find them

Readingexcalibur said:
My aquaclear 20 has fast or medium flow. It's a "tube slider" type setting. It blocks 1/2 of the current threw the intake.

Oh that's what that does..I never mess with it so I apologize for not knowing. Not sure how much it would lower the flow.

Back
Top Bottom