Filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowRider

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm going to set up my 75 gallon tank soon. The question is that I just purchase a Fluval 406 and I also want to add it to my tank for extra filtration.

The tank has a DIY overflow going into a trickle filter that sits in a sump tank. From there the return goes back into the tank into an under gravel spray bar system.

I also have a UV sterilizer and a DIY Co2 reactor. I would like to keep these two devices hooked in line with the fluval which will return to the tank via a spray bar on the surface.

Should I keep these two systems separate or connect all of them into the sump tank that the trickle filter sits in?

I can post some pictures later as Im at work. Any advice will be great.

I just didn't know if the two filters will fight against each other in any way.
Also; should I keep the Co2 reactor after the UV sterilizer? Didn't know if the Co2 will degrade it in anyway.

Well theres one large problem i see with your setup. The trickle filter and the diy co2 are going to fight against each other. The trickle filter adds as much oxygen as possible to the water which degasses the co2.

As for plumbing, the uv sterilizer and co2 can be put in line with the canister, but i would keep it all separate from the sump.

Any way around that? Even if I keep the Co2 on the fluval filter will it still have the degassing problem?
Yes it will, you can crank up the co2 to combat that, but its wasting a lot of co2.

I honestly question the need for the trickle filter. The number of tanks that actually need them are few and very far between.

I honestly question the need for the trickle filter. The number of tanks that actually need them are few and very far between.

Seems like I wasted a bunch of time on the DIY overflow and trickle filter.
Too bad as they both nice looking.
What kind of tanks usually require them?
Would there be a way to keep the overflow system or does that cause degassing as well? And is it even necessary as I have the Fluval 406?

If you skip the trickle filter it should help a lot. You can use the sump as just a sump filter and it should cut down on wasted co2.

The tanks that really utilize a trickle filter are the ones that are super heavily stocked with large fish that create a lot of waste. Oscars, gold fish, etc. Even then, a good canister can replace the trickle filter.

Sweet! I really wanted to keep the overflow, sump and under gravel jet system.
At least if I move to bigger fish as you said I'll have the trickle filter on hand.
Also I wanted to skim the surface
Would it be wise to put the return from the Fluval and reactor ect on a spray bar? Or would it be best to put that on the UGJS?
I have two options to play with.

So I read a bunch of info today on planted tanks & Co2. Now I understand that turbulence is a bad thing and I kind of get it now. So needless to say I will not be using the spray bar.
But I had a question on using the do-it-yourself overflow. If I use that and it goes down into the sump with a long line so there is no turbulence or minimize it. Will it minimize my CO2 loss? Didn't know if skimming the surface will also cause degassing.

I use a spray bar and have no problems with co2 loss as long as I keep my tank topped off.

While using the overflow isn't ideal; it should still be okay from a planted tank perspective. You will just use a little more co2, although nowhere near as much as you would use with a trickle filter.

Back
Top Bottom