Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobprobert

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 75 gallon tank running 2 filters. The first is a sunsun canister filter 304b and the second is a Marineland bio wheel 350. My question is do I need the bio wheels in the hob filter? I would rather get rid of them and allow the canister to do all the bio filtration. Ideally I would just throw some floss into the hob that I can throw away once a month or so to Polish the water. The problem I have with the bio wheel is if I accidentally knock the cover off the wheel then water pours all over the top of my aquarium glass and onto the floor.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could do that. Use the HOB as strictly as a mechanical filter since it is easy to maintain.
If there are two biowheels you may want to remove just one for now and the other in a few weeks. In case the wheels are harboring a lot of BB it will be less of a shock to the system (rather than removing both of them at one time).
Since floss can be rinsed and reused, you may want to consider removing and thoroughly rinsing (or changing it) every 1-2 weeks instead of a month. This way it is less prone to clogging, less waste breaking down and circulating in the water column, and this discourages the growth of BB colonies in the mechanical media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom