Filtration Questions for 90gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurennh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! I am just getting back into the aquarium world and I am diving into a 90gal setup. I used to have a 55gal with oscars & dempseys which I only used an AquaClear 70gal power filter and a basic undergravel filter.

I want to use an Eheim Classic 2217 filtration system. Does anyone have any other suggestions, or has experience with the Eheim? Would you suggest also using an undergravel filter along with the canister?

Thanks!

The Eheim sounds perfect. I don't have any experience with them as of yet but I just ordered one for my 40 gal that should be here today (replacing the Fluval canister I have now). I don't think you'd need a UG with it.

Would they both do the same amount/quality of filtering? My experience with my previous filter was that it was too much maint. I was cleaning and replacing the filters in it all the time.

Here's your options. Canisters, which I recommend for ur tank size, can hold more bioload and allow for longer periods inbetween cleanings. HOB needs replaced/cleaned I'd say at least every 2 weeks with ur tank size. Thats why canisters are recommended for larger tanks b/c they can keep up with the bio-load. I feel with canisters, u can buy more pads, chemical filtration, etc in bulk to make ur dollar go farther.
I would definitely skip the UG because if u want to keep plants, they will be a hassle with roots. Plus, to clean properly, u have to reverse the flow, through air or water, and blow any lodged debis up into the water column.

the AC 110 uses elements that don't need regular replacement. The reticulated sponge inserts last for many years, and the bio rings last virtually forever. The sponges can be cleaned every water change if necessary. The filter doesn't even need to be turned off. so, no ongoing costs for element replacement.
Allowing a cannister to go long periods between cleanings is pretty much like not cleaning your tank. So, if you want to have a filter that allows for easy maintenance, and allows you to easily remove solid material from the tank regularly, the AC110 is the choice. If you want to collect and store crud out of sight (it's really still in your system) than go with a cannister.
The reality is that the best filter is the one that YOU will maintain on a timely basis.

Back
Top Bottom