Fin nipping prevention help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tsquad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have 8 guppies and 6 white skirt tetras in a 55g. I have had issues with fin nipping since I got them 6 months or so ago. I just moved them from a 20 tall to the 55g a month or so ago, hoping that more room would help, but it has not. Is there anything I can do to help stop this without getting a 3rd tank to keep the white skirts in?(have a gold fish in the 20)

Adding more white skirts might help reduce nipping. If you don't want to set up a third tank you could also see if your lfs will take them and get a more peaceful tetra.

Fin Nipping

So I have 8 guppies and 6 white skirt tetras in a 55g. I have had issues with fin nipping since I got them 6 months or so ago. I just moved them from a 20 tall to the 55g a month or so ago, hoping that more room would help, but it has not. Is there anything I can do to help stop this without getting a 3rd tank to keep the white skirts in?(have a gold fish in the 20)

Hello T...

Plant the surface of the tank really well. Floating plants like Water lettuce, Hornwort, Water sprite, Anacharis and Pennywort will grow quickly floating up close to the light source and provide hiding places for bullied fish. Floating plants also make aggressive fish feel more comfortable in their surroundings. Any fish with elaborate fins like male Guppies are a target for aggressive fish.

As for Goldfish, the species isn't tropical. They prefer much cooler water, around 65 degrees. I keep tanks of fancy and common Goldfish and don't use a heater in the tanks. Your tropicals will need water at least 10 degrees warmer, if you want them to stay healthy. The size difference alone would be an excellent reason for not putting Goldfish in with tropicals.

B

Back
Top Bottom