Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fin regrowth, how long?

One tiger barb has one of her ventral fins completely missing, all of it. I am starting to wonder if she is just "deformed." I got her from LFS about a week ago and never really noticed it. I have her in separate tank in case the others caused it and were picking on her. She seems totally happy and swimming normally but there is no regrowth at all. Does it take a long time for new growth to start? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If the rays (the ridges/lines that run down the fin) are completely missing, then it is unlikely that the fin will grow back <whether that was due to birth defect or from trauma/infection.> Fins will grow back if the ray structures are intact, & will take a few weeks if the fish is in good condition.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

There is absolutely nothing there, no hole, no scratch, nothing. I keep waiting and checking it to see if there's going to be signs of infection. If there wasn't one on the other side, you wouldn't even know it was supposed to be there. I've heard that the albinos can be deformed because they are a mutation of tiger barbs, so maybe I've got a "mutant" on my hands! Anyhow, she's happy and obviously no one's told her that she looks different! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I have a goldfish that is missing a fin as well. The ornamental fish are so inbred that deformities are common. If the fish is happy & healthy, I don't think it is much of a problem.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #5

After reading your posts, I have decided that she's probably just a mutant fish, but she's very healthy and happy. So I took her out of the "hospital" tank and put her back in the main tank with the rest of the school. They are all getting along "swimmingly!!" Thanks for the comments!

Tags
fin, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com