Fin rot???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's noticed my guppy this morning has lots most of his tail. It looks quite a clean cut. I have shrimps, danios, red tailed shark, hoplo catfish , few tetras. Any ideas?

How many Danios?
What size tank?
Is there any blackening of the fins at the edges or any other damage?

165 litres and I have 3 pearl danios. Are they vicious then? Also there is no blackening of fins.

This tank is way too small for a red tailed shark. I'll placing my bet that the shark tried to eat it. My shark ate my entire school of danios. You need to rehome that shark unless you are upgrading in tank size soon. In fact, looking at your stock again, I wouldn't be surprised if your shark ends up eating quite a few of them.

Really that surprises me as he never chases any fish and the guppies have been there for months.

Doesn't matter. Notice any growth spurts in the shark lately? Know how old he is?

After having read your other thread, it appears you have more than one shark in this tank. They are aggressive and it is necessary, unless you have a huge tank, hundreds of gallons, that they be kept as single specimens.

I have one shark we have had him about 8 months . No growth spurts

If he's had no growth spurts, that's a problem right there. It means he's most likely suffering from stunted growth.

Do what's right. Rehome him immediately.

Yup, as stated by Lynda, the most likely culprit is the RTBS. It does need a bigger home, territorial little buggers they are.
Second in line would be the Danios. They get a little wild and if the Guppies get mixed up into the fray they can take some damage but not likely to the point of a completely missing tail.
Try and rehome the RTBS and increase your group of Danios so that their aggression is spread out more into their group and away from the Guppies.

I thought pearl danios were calm but lovely fish or that's what I was told

Graemecookie said:
I have one shark we have had him about 8 months . No growth spurts

In this thread from yesterday...
http://ib.adnxs.com/getuid?http://ad.afy11.net/ad?mode=7&publisher_dsp_id=10&external_user_id=$UID
...you state that you have a "few Red Tailed Sharks".

Back
Top Bottom