fin rot on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just noticed fin rot starting on a 3" goldfish I have in a 10 gallon tank. One tail fin is becoming frayed and has a whitish demarcation zone at the diseased/healthy junction of the fin. I checked the water and I'm running 0 ppm ammonia, .5 ppm nitrite, and 10 ppm nitrate. I did a 50% water change and added 5 ml of Melafix. Am I on the right track with treatment?

Things seem to be getting worse with this fin rot thing. The growth is whitish and I'm seeing lesions on the side as well as on the other fins. Does fin rot leave a stringy trail? I'm open to suggestions, but make them quickly as the situation is deteriorating, literally. The water parameters are as good as they get after that 50% PWC. I've been adding the Melafix at the recommended dosage. Will aquarium salt help? I'm not sure about aquarium salt and goldfish though.

I just did another PWC anyway, this time a 25%. I added erythromycin this time and more of the standard dose of Melafix. The fish continues to get worse and is very lethargic. The fish is beginning to suspend on it's side near the top. I fear the worst.

I'm sorry dax. :(

Make sure to keep up on water changes. Erythromicin in notorious for messing with your biological filter. I would avoid treating with both medicines. Sometimes, too much medicine can be just as bad as using none at all.

Since he is showing more than one grave signs, I'm going to guess he's contracted a secondary infection from the fin rot. Continue to treat with the anitbiotics, keep very clean water, and hope for the best. :|

I think I'm turning the corner on the fin rot treatment. I don't see any more of the white stuff and the fish is moving a little better today. I'll continue with treatment until next weekend. Hopefully, this will be the end of fin rot for this fish in this tank. Thanks for the input Devilishturtles :mrgreen: .

just currious dax..
how old is this fish?
and.. how heavily is the tank stocked..
I realize the tank is small.. but it would take long term crouding to stress a fish into getting sick with good water conditions.. hmm..
have you moved it to a bigger tank?
hope things are still doing better..
good luck (y)

Back
Top Bottom