Fin rot Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sullyguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I looked around pet stores here for Melafix but it is nowhere to be found. Can someone name me a few alternatives to heal fin rot. Is Maroxy enough to heal it?

Ph is 7.0
Ammonia is .01
Nitrate 50
Temperature is 80

20 Galon

2 AngelFish

sorry i dont know anything about fin rot

i wish i could help and this post isnt helping either but i have a question

can you really raise angelfish from babies and make them non-agressive cause the woman at my LFS said that its possible but only if you get them as babies yet(not like fry babies big enough for them to sell)

You could try MarOxy with Maracyn 2 or TriSulfa. Other good meds I've tried are Jungle Fungus Eliminator (anti-fungal with an antibiotic), Kanacyn or Kanaplex, or Triple Sulfa.

I just noticed your test results. Ammonia is a bit high (ammonia should be 0), and nitrates are definitely high. Most fish like levels of 20-40 ppm. The stress brought on by the water parameters could be causing the finrot. I would do water changes every day of about 20 or 25% before you add the medicine. The directions on the meds vary; some say do a water change every 2 or 3 days, etc, but when medicating, I always like to do a small water change every day before adding the med. If the med is on an "every other day" dose schedule, I add a small amount of med back in to replace what I took out.

Sometimes, the directions recommend a second course of treatment. If you need to do that, then go ahead -- sometimes I've had good results only after 10 days of treatment rather than, say, five.

.01 is too high??? Wow
In the past 3 days ive done 2 50% water change. My water is looking way better then it did. What do I do to lower nitrate? More water changes?? The only thing I seen that we have is Meracyn 2. I've lost the pamphlet for Maroxy but the pet store lady told me that it should heal fin rot. Is she right? And thank you for explaining the medecine thing.

Your ammonia is really .01? Wow, that's an accurate test kit you have. My kit reads 0, and then .25.

Maracyn 2 and MarOxy together should cure finrot very nicely. Bacterial infections are more common than fungal, and finrot is usually bacterial. But just in case, the little Mardel pamphlet says you can use the Maracyn 2 (antibiotic) and the MarOxy (fungal) meds together. I like these meds because they have an every day dosage, so it's easy to do a little water change before you add your dose for the day.

The Jungle Fungus Eliminator, for example, says to add a dose and then wait 4 days before a water change and adding another dose. I just tend to think that's too long. I do like that med, but I do a water change on the second day and add a little more med to compensate for what I took out.

Anyway, your Mardel meds will be fine.

Do you have a nitrate test kit? Check your source water -- I've heard of nitrates being in tap water (if tap is your source). So if nitrates are present in your tap water, they are being added to the tank with every water change. Overstocking causes high nitrates, but I don't think 2 fish in a 20 gallon tank is too much. How much are you feeding?

Live plants are a very easy way to remove excess nitrates. I have just a few low-light plants in my tanks, and my nitrates are about 0- 5 ppm. Some very easy plants are floating hornwort and java moss. You don't "plant" java moss either; it just sits on your gravel or driftwood.

I just took out 20% of the water. Put 1 cap of Maroxy and 4 tablets of Maracyn 2. Now lets hope the fin rot goes away. How long til the tablets disolve??

I just took out 20% of the water. Put 1 cap of Maroxy and 4 tablets of Maracyn 2. Now lets hope the fin rot goes away. How long til the tablets disolve??

I'm on my second day of treatement and I noticed that one of my angelfish's eye which is cloudy is starting to get abit of a bloodshot. Is it a normal sign of progression?? Today I changed 20% of water again. One capsul of Maroxy and 2 tablets of maracyn 2. Water temp is 79 degrees. Ph is 7.0 Nitrate is still 50. Ammonia is 0.01. I have a hornwrot coming in on wednesday which will help lower my nitrate. If I turn on my Air stick to make lil bubbles in the aquarium would that help lower the nitrate???

I think the tablets take an hour or so to dissolve. Your filter will keep the medicine circulating through the water. Don't forget to take any carbon out of your filter while medicating. You can't lower nitrates by adding the airstone. Only water changes or live plants, to the best of my knowledge, will do that.

Just keep watching his eye. I never treated a cloudy eye so I'm not sure. It's still early in the treatment, so wait and see. Sorry I can't be of more help with the eye question.

ya i took the filter out. Now the water is cloudy but they say that maracyn 2 can cause cloudiness of water. Your reply is a big help. Thanks for helping me take care of my fish. Ive been doing everything you've been telling me. All the little water changes in between medication. Thanks for your time. It's really appreciated. Hopefully his eye gets better and not worst.

Is my water suppose to be very cloudy from the Maracyn-2 and maroxy? It seems to get more cloudy every day of treatement?

It's been a year or so since I used these meds. They are great, but I haven't had sick fish that needed them (knock on wood!) :lol:

I'm going to say yes, that's ok. You used 4 tablets of Maracyn 2 and a capful of MarOxy. I used one tablet and one drop. So I think at the quantity that you used, it would get cloudy. The MarOxy has some color to it so it will give a hazy appearance, especially at the dose you're using. Four tablets is the correct dose for your tank, so don't worry about that, but I think some cloudiness would be expected.

Did you take the whole filter out? The filter will keep the water moving. If the water is not moving at its usual rate, that may contribute to the cloudiness too. If you did remove the whole filter, where is your bio-media? (sponges or "noodles") Is this a QT tank? I can't go back to your original question from this screen, but I think this is your main tank. If so, you'll probably get a mini ammonia spike from using antibiotics in the main tank.

After the course of treatment is over, you'll want to do a 25% or so water change and run carbon to remove the last traces of medicine.

I took out the charcoal filter. The sponge is still in there. It's my main tank because both have fin rot. Their fins are looking better but one of them still has an eye problem. Looks like a clear whitish piece of skin covering the eye. Looks very cloudy. Hopefully I see some changes in the next couple of days. Is it ok to keep on treating pass the 5 days??

Yes, you can treat for 5 additional days. Sometimes I didn't see results until my fish were given two treatments -- 10 days total. Hopefully that will get rid of the finrot for good and help the one with the cloudy eye. Keep your water parameters in the good range - especially the nitrates, because they were high - and the fish should be fine. I hope the one with the cloudy eye gets better! Try a second course of treatment for 5 days to maximize their recovery.

Back
Top Bottom