Fin rot recovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mother has a half moon aquarium and I recently found their poor little guy in the corner ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424106692.974671.jpg not the best pic but he was in the corner half starved and quite a bit of his fins missing. Needless to say I put him in a medic tank and started treating for fin rot and gave him plenty of food. Roughly how long will it take for him to recover? And should I use a sponge filter instead of a power filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of fish? With clean, warm water and good quality food you should start to see regrowth pretty quickly. Within a week or so I'd expect to see lots of clear fin tips growing in. What are you treating him with?

He's a red platy and I'm using api fungus cure for fungus mouth fungus body slime & eye cloud fin & tail rot

That medic tank water seems green, is it correctly cycled ?

Also don't keep the lights ON too much time.

Give him the best quality water possible, don't overfeed, it should regenerate.

The chemical used to treat it caused that and the only light of from my ceiling light and from the window

The tank cleared so now you can actually see him ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424145006.457678.jpg it's sad to know that he looked so nice a short time ago then just withered so fast

+1 about water quality !! Most often sickness in fish can be directly attributed to poor water quality and can be corrected with excellent water quality. I'm all for water first and meds as a last resort. Even if it's multiple daily WC's. Makes a world of difference !!!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

+1 about water quality

Sent from inside my fish tank

TDS=Total Dissolved Solids. http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is

I would shoot for at least 50% WC IMO. An example to use would be if you've got a tank with 50% junk in it and you change 25% of the water, you have a remaining 37.5% junk. If you change 50% water, you're left with 25% junk. So the moral of the junk exams is the more you change, the cleaner it becomes. Also, the more often you change it, the more of a chance you have at getting to 0% junk. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

What is TDS?

Total Dissolved Solids. This refers to the overall number of PPM of all of what there's your water. This with GH+KH will give good overview on the tap water quality for fishs.

Nitrates+Phosphates+Cooper+Iron+AnyOtherMetals+AnyChemicals+Bacterias+Chlorine, etc.

This can be obtain via TDS meter, the LFS will probably have one, the test takes 5 seconds to do, so I hope they'll do it to you free, gratis. Just bring a tap water sample to LFS and ask for TDS mesurement. If you tell me TDS are >600ppm, then maybe the problem is here.

I'm lucky, I was testing 50ppm last week :D.

If you're referring to what caused the fin rot I know it was over feeding and that it was about a week since I cleaned it. the water should be fine

Sent from peliper

I didn't manage to make it to the aquatic pet store because they where closed so I'll try tomorrow but it looks like he's got quite a bit grown back already ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424233900.249171.jpg you can't quite see it because his fin blends in but he now has about 1/32 in if clear fin on his tail and he is much more active after only one day

Sent from peliper

If you have an unhealthy fish like this, but the water parameters are ok, can you still have "dirty water" that requires a water change? If your water measures no ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates does that mean a pwc is not needed and something else is causing the illness besides water quality?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. The tank had quite a bit of food in the bottom under the gravel. One I cleaned it my gravel vack was almost completely brown with leftover food

Sent from peliper

If you have an unhealthy fish like this, but the water parameters are ok, can you still have "dirty water" that requires a water change? If your water measures no ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates does that mean a pwc is not needed and something else is causing the illness besides water quality?

If I was thinking like that, I would never change my water... My CO2 injected tank is so heavily planted that I need to ADD nitrates and phosphates, or theses levels tend to naturally lower over time, even if I'm overstocked...

So according to water tests and low algae growing, I can tell the water is "clean", but it may not be "quality" water, as some nutrients will lack.

Also, it doesn't mean because ferts (NO3, PO4) are low that the water is "quality water". The TDS could be high, water with high cooper is bad for inverts, water with ultra high KH and GH may not be so good for some tetra by example...

Sometime the tap water TDS are so high, even if there's no nitrates/phosphates, aquariums keeper must use RODI unit then remineralize this water...

Usually the tap water is good for almost all fishs, there's some specific regions where's the water isn't good for fish tanks.

Back
Top Bottom