Final (hopefully) stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I swear I changed my stocking plan at least 10 times since! I never thought it could be this hard to plan a 10g stocking plan..or maybe it's just me.

My tank dimensions are 22.8x13.9x12.7.

It's on a fish in cycle with 2 platy atm, so I couldn't really exclude them from my stocking list (which may have been the reason why it was so hard to plan out).

So after writing and crossing out different stocking lists, here's what I came up with.

-2 platy
-4 or 5 panda or schwartz cory (5 might be tight)
-1 honey or dwarf gourami (I don't remember which one they had at my lfs)

I plan to do 50% water changes per week.
I am also going to moderately plant my tank with low-medium lighting plants.
I heard that if you have a planted tank, at night your fish could possibly not get enough oxygen because the plants take that up..is that true? It seems like there's something else to it every time I learn about something new. I was planning to use an airstone or bubble wand for this but I heard that doesn't do much for oxygen levels either.

What do you think?

I swear I changed my stocking plan at least 10 times since! I never thought it could be this hard to plan a 10g stocking plan..or maybe it's just me.

My tank dimensions are 22.8x13.9x12.7.

It's on a fish in cycle with 2 platy atm, so I couldn't really exclude them from my stocking list (which may have been the reason why it was so hard to plan out).

So after writing and crossing out different stocking lists, here's what I came up with.

-2 platy
-4 or 5 panda or schwartz cory (5 might be tight)
-1 honey or dwarf gourami (I don't remember which one they had at my lfs)

I plan to do 50% water changes per week.
I am also going to moderately plant my tank with low-medium lighting plants.
I heard that if you have a planted tank, at night your fish could possibly not get enough oxygen because the plants take that up..is that true? It seems like there's something else to it every time I learn about something new. I was planning to use an airstone or bubble wand for this but I heard that doesn't do much for oxygen levels either.

What do you think?

No, plants take up carbon dioxide and put out oxygen. I would make water changes to 25% and your stock plan sounds good

No, plants take up carbon dioxide and put out oxygen. I would make water changes to 25% and your stock plan sounds good

Ah, it's because I read somewhere that in the daytime they produce the oxygen but at night they take up the oxygen.

Yay! I can finally breathe a sigh of relief (throws 10 papers of previous stocking plans away.. :D )

I may do 25% but may just upper it to stay on the safe side.

Yes they do use oxygen at night but unless you have a heavily planted tank with co2 injection its not a problem overnight.

You can change enough water to keep nitrates under 20ppm each week. Personally I change more water than needed because the more clean water you can provide the better off the fish will be.

Yes they do use oxygen at night but unless you have a heavily planted tank with co2 injection its not a problem overnight.

You can change enough water to keep nitrates under 20ppm each week. Personally I change more water than needed because the more clean water you can provide the better off the fish will be.

Well I want to plant my tank not lightly but not heavily either, which lands me in the middle..would that do anything?

Yeah, I was thinking of keeping it 30-50% a week. Pwc don't really bother me much, doing a fish in cycle really got me used to them. Haha

Back
Top Bottom